Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NAD: Yamaha THR10X (with video clip featuring my 2006 Jackson SLSMG)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The solo to Nothing Else Matters using the Metallica Black album tone I demonstrated in my previous video.

Status update: John Sykes' Whitesnake tone is still eluding me after multiple attempts. Might try easier-hanging fruit (DeMartini and Lynch, as FloydRose4Prez suggested) to keep my momentum going.

Comment

Yes, thank you.
      8 strings? Because 6 is too easy?

Comment

As requested by FloydRose4Prez, here is the Lynch Mob tone from the Wicked Sensation album. Enjoy!

Comment

Yes, thank you. I have made a setting using Southern Hi/Fuel cab that I use predominantly when I am just jamming. Quite saturated.

Comment

Post your results!

As requested, here's my take on the Ratt tone from Invasion of Your Privacy. I can't get any closer because Ratt's tone is thinner than the THR10X can achieve. I've tried to thin out the tone as much as the amp will allow. Any more refinement will probably have to be done in post production equalization.

Hope you like it though!

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 04-24-2020, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Dig it, Number. Thanks.

Comment

Dig it, Number. Thanks.

Comment

Iron Maiden tone from the Piece of Mind album. Razor thin and buzzy with that subtle "aww" vowel sound like a fixed wah. Learned how to do split screen videos in my OpenShot Video Editor software too!

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

Judas Priest - British Steel album tone.

Comment

Tone from my favorite Iron Maiden album, Somewhere in Time.

Comment

What Amp Sim or Amp that you would use if you didn't have the THR10X ?

Comment

If the Yamaha THR Series never existed, I think I'd still be using my other "main" rig, a Boss GT-6 into the effects loop of a Mesa Studio Caliber DC-2, which I had been using since the early 2000s.

Ever since getting the THR10X, I've maybe used the previous rig a handful of times. For my purposes, the THR10X seems to suit my personal at-home needs better. While the previous rig sounds great at very low volumes, and fills the room better than the THR amps, I am really gravitating towards the THR for the simplicity, tone-chasing, and USB recording connectivity. I never used to record so much and it's like the THR unlocked that ability for me. Of course, the capacity to record always exists, but the THR made it easy and makes me want to do it. I suppose that's really what "inspiration" is.

I somehow ended up with two of the standard THR10s as well but I seem to reach for the THR10X 95% of the time.

For the moment, I have no intention on acquiring any of the 2nd generation THR amps. Somehow I've never had the lust to chase the latest cutting-edge gear.

Since I am always sitting at my computer when I play guitar, I'm always running the companion THR Editor software to achieve full functionality of the THR amp. Despite its portability, I don't use the THR all over the house, even though I could conceivably put any of my three THR amps in different rooms (computer room, living room, and bathroom jamming LOL). I am practically using the THR amp as a USB interface to run the THR Editor software.

This brings me to my next point. In another thread (https://www.jcfonline.com/forum/equi...-tell-all-here) I considered the possibility of transitioning fully to proper amp sim software, using the THR solely as a USB interface to my computer. If I ever get bored exploring the capabilities of the THR Series, an amp plugin would likely be the next logical step. Since I'm very slow and behind the curve when it comes to getting cutting-edge gear, it could be years before I feel the need to get amp software. While some of them now already sound great, by the time I commit to one in the far future, they could conceivably be amazing with all the advances in technology in the coming years. So I'll wait.

Sorry for the essay. 😅

Comment

Thank You for the Speedy Reply.

I am so Old School, and just recently got back into wanting to play, so I got a new guitar & amp. I am also taking lessons.
                              I am Blown Away by the Technology and Ability of Computers, Amps, & Amp Sims.
                              After listening to your playing, I used Googlefu to search for the THR10X.
                              I am using a Fender Mustang LT25, and it is pretty darn good.
                              The modern Amp // Sim is something I would like to acquire some day. Far easier to carry, and getting the Sound and Tone desired seems like it would be a bit easier once learned how to go between them.

Just another ignorant question, if you don't mind my asking.
                              Do you think it is possible, or desirable to patch some sort of 4 x 12 or 2 x 12 at the end and get the
                              80s Arena sound?
                              LoL
                              My grey's are showing, LoL

I really enjoy listening to you folks that post your playing. Even for this dusty old man, you guys are an inspiration and sometimes take me down Memory Lane.

Thank You
                              🎶 👍
                              Last edited by JJ119; 05-29-2020, 12:17 PM. Reason: Spelling Error, :-(

Comment

Congrats on getting back into playing!

I just watched a product demo for that Fender Mustang LT25 and was pretty impressed!

As for your question, I'm not sure I understand your application. Are you asking if you can use a cabinet at the end of the Yamaha THR or the Fender Mustang? Also, are you asking about a real cabinet or a virtual one?

I can only speak to virtual cabinets and the THR. In the THR Editor software, there is the option to select different virtual cabinets. The THR10 has several virtual cabinet choices from American and British-flavored 4x12 cabs to a small 1x10, while the THR10X has five virtual 4x12 cabs. There is no apparent way to disable the cabinet simulation, otherwise I see massive potential to use your own impulse responses on your computer to simulate an infinite combination of microphones, microphone positions, cabinets, and speaker choices.

I have not tried running the THR headphone out jack to an external physical cabinet but I'm aware that it's possible. The THR headphone out jack can also be run into powered studio monitors, but I haven't tried that either.

Comment

Working...
                                X