Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I proclaim this the best sounding combo I have ever owned.. ever!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
    PowerTube does your cab have an output so you can plug them in series? Mine do
    I'll check later. Mine are a Marshall 1960A and a Carvin Series 4 reissue (i.e. X100B cab reissue).
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

I've had the 50W combo for just under a year and I love it, I sold my THR5 pretty much as soon as I got the Kat. I use the Rockerverb model from the sneaky amps patch and I've pretty much replicated the sound of my Dark Terror gigging rig. This is recorded using the line out straight into Reaper with nothing added afterwards:

www.soundcloud.com/kerryymm/song-idea-3

Comment

I've seen Michael Audette post fantastic modded Marshall clips on Facebook, but had no idea he had a Youtube channel and Boss Katana 100W. The Katana sounds like his Marshall clips.

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
          I've seen Michael Audette post fantastic modded Marshall clips on Facebook, but had no idea he had a Youtube channel and Boss Katana 100W. The Katana sounds like his Marshall clips.
          I agree. I have A/B'd my 100w Katana combo against many different amps and in many cases it actually sounds better.

Comment

Sounds like most modeling amp players still mic amps/cabs. Has the direct out or cabinet emulation not gotten any better.
            I sure like the tone of the Boss and just found out their tone sw is compatible with my Macbook. I also like the head version with Midi and of course, cab out. Still wish they made a true stereo amp (2 power amps). These samples here are impressive.

Comment

catzodellamarina the Boss Katana direct sound (either Phones-Rec/Line Out/USB) all use the same built-in cab sim. It doesn't sound bad but won't make you sell your Fractal/Helix/Kemper.

I do record a lot with a mic as I like how it sounds and as I have a small music room that let me do it. Here is a quick clip I did comparing mics vs direct output.

JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
              Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Huh, go figure. I was amp-shopping a couple months ago and tried the 50w due to all the great acclaim for the Katanas. Just didn't sound that great to me, "Brown" was a big disappointment, and I WANTED to like it since it's only like $249. I ended up getting a Marshall DSL40CR and love it!
                Unleash the fury.....Texas style!

Comment

I can finally participate in this thread properly! This past weekend, I traded one of my spare Yamaha THR10 amps (I kept the other, along with the THR10X that most people have seen me use in my Youtube videos) for a Katana-50 MkII. I recorded the attached quick clip. The sound is just what's available from the physical amp controls... I haven't yet learned to connect it to the computer software or explored its features and benefits, so the tone you hear in the video doesn't have the bells and whistles of the software. It's as if you are trying the amp plainly at the store. It didn't take me long to get this tone. The one downside about using the onboard Booster control is that it is VERY noisy! I hope the software has a noise gate!

This is starting to remind me of my THR10X journey. First video I posted of that was just the straight amp without the benefits of the software, and the signal was also very noisy until I figured out how to use the software and its noise gate. I suppose I'll soon learn to exploit it and explore more tonal capabilities. So many toys, so little time.

I looked at the back of the amp and didn't notice an effects loop. I don't think the 50W Katanas include it. Oh well. I was slightly disappointed, as I was hoping to try running my Boss GT-6 through the effects loop, which jgcable taught me to do in the early 2000s using the effects loop of my Mesa DC-2 and that was my main rig for many years until I recently primarily started using the Yamaha THR amps.

Last edited by Number Of The Priest; 08-18-2020, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Number Of The Priest welcome to the club!

There is a "noise gate" and you can access it with Boss Tone Studio.
                    50w combo doesn't have a FX loop. Only the 100w models (1x12, 212, Head & Artist)
                    Try your GT6 into the poweramp return input in the back of the 50w. Set your cab sim to off on your GT. I tried my GT8 like and was surprised.
                    Visit the Facebook group or PM me on Messenger if you require any help with the amp.
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Working...
                    X