Bugera 333XL INFINIUM vs Randall RD100H Diavlo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera 333XL INFINIUM vs Randall RD100H Diavlo

So I'm looking at purchasing a new head and the options so far are Bugera 333XL INFINIUM vs Randall RD100H Diavlo. I don't (well I *can't*) go over 800 which is right where the Randall sits.

Any thoughts? Is there something else in that price range that blows those out of the water? I'll be playing through a pair of Celestion vintage 30's.

and although this should be kind of obvious, for metal
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

I've got a Randall RD20H and it's a great amp for little $.
    Does it have to be 100 watts? If not, a EVH 50 watt is close to your
    price range...

Comment

I've never played through a EVH, I have through a 6505 though, are they close?

Yeah, doesn't have to be 100watts, I'll take a look at an EVH, safe to assume they have them at guitar center?

Comment

I think the EVH comes in EL34 and 6L6 versions. I believe the gold colored one has EL34`s. I have my eye on one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
          I've never played through a EVH, I have through a 6505 though, are they close?

Yeah, doesn't have to be 100watts, I'll take a look at an EVH, safe to assume they have them at guitar center?
          I don't have the scientific specs handy, but a 50-watt amp is something like 90-ish% as loud as the 100-watt version of the same amp. It will probably have a bit less headroom, though. Plus, it'll break up at lower volumes.

Yeah, GC carries the EVH amps and they sound damn good. The 50-watt, if I remember correctly, doesn't have reverb.
          Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

This the one? I know nothing at all about tubes so this will be a serious learning curve.
            https://reverb.com/item/6766901-evh-...be-guitar-head

Comment

The Randall Diavlo 100 has three channels, but all three share the same EQ controls, so not very versatile. I have the Bugera 333XL and the EVH 5150 III 6L6 50 watt. The EVH sounds great and is three channel, but the Clean and first Dist channel share EQ controls, so you have to dial them in favoring one particular tone and the other channel may suffer for it. The Bugera 333XL has three true independent channels with separate EQs on all. It also has a noise gate. The nice thing is the Infinium thing that allows tube swapping without needing to bias it. I'm running two 6L6s and two KT77s and it sounds massive. While the EVH & Bugera both sound great, to me, the Bugera is more versatile, more adjustments and more tonal options.

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                I don't have the scientific specs handy, but a 50-watt amp is something like 90-ish% as loud as the 100-watt version of the same amp. It will probably have a bit less headroom, though. Plus, it'll break up at lower volumes.

Yeah, GC carries the EVH amps and they sound damn good. The 50-watt, if I remember correctly, doesn't have reverb.
                Someone will correct me, but I THINK a 100-watt amp is only 5 db louder than a 50-watt if played through the same cab.

Also consider the EVH 15-watt. I've had one for a few years, and that thing is freakin' loud. And well
                below your budget...

Comment

so the clean on the EL34 is really good? if so I think I'm sold

Comment

The Bugera is a clone of the Peavey Triple XXX. Why not buy a used one of those? I see them for sale around $400 all the time. I'd take a used Peavey over a Bugera 100% of the time.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      The Bugera is a clone of the Peavey Triple XXX. Why not buy a used one of those? I see them for sale around $400 all the time. I'd take a used Peavey over a Bugera 100% of the time.
                      because I honestly didn't know it was a clone of the peavy, I'll check it out

Comment

Originally posted by eakinj View Post
                        because I honestly didn't know it was a clone of the peavy, I'll check it out
                        Oh yeah dude. Check out Guitar Centre's used stuff. A couple of days ago they had at least 2 or 3 Triple XXXs for $400-$450. My buddy has one of the old Peavey Ultra 120s that is essentially the predecessor of the Triple XXX and it's a fantastic sounding amp. Plus old Peavey stuff is bulletproof.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

The used $400 triple X are the version 1 ones, they don't have the Fat Switch and don't have the noise gate. The version II ones with those features are going for around $800

Comment

The 333 that I don't think is around is the clone of the triple x. the 333xl is a clone of the JSX.

Comment

Wow, I almost forgot about the JSX. They didn`t last too long. Never played thru one.

Comment

Working...
                              X