Recommend me some studio monitors for BIAS FX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend me some studio monitors for BIAS FX

I have the free edition of BIAS FX, and I'll consider buying it at some point.

But I will need a good interface and a set of studio monitors. I have great PC speakers but they really aren't designed for that. I also don't necessarily trust Guitar Center reviews, as GC tends to cater to the teenage crowd.

So what do you guys recommend? This will be both for recording and for having a great sound in the room.
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

The AXE I/O
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

I have two of these https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2583
    They do so much more too, click link, scroll down for video...read up and see if these items are right for you man. Good Luck.
    Last edited by Jackson8090s; 03-06-2019, 03:25 AM.
    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
      The AXE I/O
      https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/axeio/

I have two of these https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=2583
      They do so much more too, click link, scroll down for video...read up and see if these items are right for you man. Good Luck.
      Thanks. But to be honest, I'm thinking more along the lines of $100.00-ish for the interface and about $250.00 or so for the monitors, i.e. cheap. Like maybe something GC might have in stock.

Comment

For monitors, I've been happy with my Presonus Eris E5s. They sound great to me and didn't break the bank.
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I can't personally recommend an interface because I don't have a dedicated interface since I'm using a Line 6 Helix LT modeler which has an interface built in and allows me to plug directly into the computer via USB. However, I frequently see USB interfaces (very simple to set up) being sold in the local classifieds for well under CAD$100, occasionally under CAD$50. Good brand name ones too, from Focusrite, M-Audio, Presonus, etc. Sometimes the Behringer interfaces go for even cheaper.

The below video is essential viewing for people who want to use plugins (using their computers as amp sims). Guitar --> Direct Box (to reduce the overly hot signal) --> Interface (adjust the gain level accordingly) --> USB port on your computer. Direct box and interface can be bought very cheaply as seen in the video.

As for monitors, I have a pair of near mint KRK Rokit 5 G2 (5" speaker, Generation 2) that I bought off a local seller cheaply for CAD$200 with several XLR cables and power cables included. The whole KRK Rokit family of monitors are very common monitors and there's always the chance you can find previous generations cheaply since the current offering is Generation 3. I really wish there was a master volume knob on the front panel of the monitor because I had planned to use them as computer speakers, but for the price I'm not going to complain for the occasional time that I hook them up for mixing and monitoring.

If you want to go even smaller and cheaper, the Mackie CR3 are 3" monitors that are getting great reviews, and have a volume knob and headphone jack on the front panel that would make them useful as computer speakers. At retail these monitors are CAD$129 for the pair. I think I spent more than that on my Bose computer speakers and they're smaller and not flat-response for mixing/monitoring.

Comment

[QUOTE=

As for monitors, I have a pair of near mint KRK Rokit 5 G2 (5" speaker, Generation 2) that I bought off a local seller cheaply for CAD$200 with several XLR cables and power cables included. The whole KRK Rokit family of monitors are very common monitors and there's always the chance you can find previous generations cheaply since the current offering is Generation 3. I really wish there was a master volume knob on the front panel of the monitor because I had planned to use them as computer speakers, but for the price I'm not going to complain for the occasional time that I hook them up for mixing and monitoring.[/QUOTE]

I second these!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
              Thanks. But to be honest, I'm thinking more along the lines of $100.00-ish for the interface and about $250.00 or so for the monitors, i.e. cheap. Like maybe something GC might have in stock.
              No Problem man, I understand... I've been pretty fortunate to own the gear I have and if it's alright by you, I have a PreSonus Audio Box 22VSL that I literally used once and put it away.. I'd be happy to gift it to you, provided you pay the shipping... comes with its USB cable and software. Look that interface up and if you want it, it's yours...then you can swing a little more toward a nicer set of monitors...look at GC used...they sell those EV's I told you about they are a little pricey new but you may score on GC used.

If your interested just PM your address and I'll take it down to the UPS store and get an exact shipping quote for ya man. \m/
              \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Been a while since we've had "JCF Brotherhood" spirit like that! (There's a term we haven't used in over a decade, LOL.)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson8090s View Post
                  No Problem man, I understand... I've been pretty fortunate to own the gear I have and if it's alright by you, I have a PreSonus Audio Box 22VSL that I literally used once and put it away.. I'd be happy to gift it to you, provided you pay the shipping... comes with its USB cable and software. Look that interface up and if you want it, it's yours...then you can swing a little more toward a nicer set of monitors...look at GC used...they sell those EV's I told you about they are a little pricey new but you may score on GC used.

If your interested just PM your address and I'll take it down to the UPS store and get an exact shipping quote for ya man. \m/
                  I appreciate it, but I'm not ready to make a move just yet. This was more speculation at this point than anything else.

But thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                    I appreciate it, but I'm not ready to make a move just yet. This was more speculation at this point than anything else.

But thanks!
                    Ok man, No problem.
                    \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Originally posted by Number Of The Priest View Post
                      Been a while since we've had "JCF Brotherhood" spirit like that! (There's a term we haven't used in over a decade, LOL.)
                      \m/ Thrash Zone \m/

Comment

Working...
                      X