Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss Katana 100 Combo V3 with Sneaky Amps....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post

I totally agree. I own one. Its outstanding and so real sounding and feeling.
    With that said... and I understand that tone is subjective of course... the Katana is better. It sounds just as good, if not better, has tons more features and tones, has a much better PC edit suite and you can gig with it no problem.
    Here's the thing: I WANT to love the Katana. I really do. I've loved Boss gear for years and especially my GT-100. But so far I haven't found one single demo video of it that impressed me. I understand that videos aren't the same as real life, but in my experience, they get you in the ballpark. As an example, in every video of a Splawn amp I heard when shopping a few years ago, they sounded extremely stiff. But I went right ahead and bought one. Sure enough, it was stiff as hell and that was with the Drop B+ option. I hated it. Conversely, I loved the tones from the GT-100 in the videos. Sure enough, I bought one and love it. There are other examples, but you get the idea.

I think the Katana is in an incredible price range for the features. But again, until I find a video with tones that blow me away like the Yamaha above, I'll pass.

I know how lame that sounds, but I also know that tone is subjective. Simply put, I know what I like.

Can you point me to a video of the Katana where the sound is really accurate to your ears?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post

Here's the thing: I WANT to love the Katana. I really do. I've loved Boss gear for years and especially my GT-100. But so far I haven't found one single demo video of it that impressed me. I understand that videos aren't the same as real life, but in my experience, they get you in the ballpark. As an example, in every video of a Splawn amp I heard when shopping a few years ago, they sounded extremely stiff. But I went right ahead and bought one. Sure enough, it was stiff as hell and that was with the Drop B+ option. I hated it. Conversely, I loved the tones from the GT-100 in the videos. Sure enough, I bought one and love it. There are other examples, but you get the idea.

I think the Katana is in an incredible price range for the features. But again, until I find a video with tones that blow me away like the Yamaha above, I'll pass.

I know how lame that sounds, but I also know that tone is subjective. Simply put, I know what I like.

Can you point me to a video of the Katana where the sound is really accurate to your ears?
      There are so many great Youtube videos its hard to pick one.  Here are 3 that display alot of great tones with not alot of effects.   

Comment

Listen to the 3rd video.  Player is playing Lay it Down by Ratt.  If that doesn't nail the RATT tone... nothing does. Its EXACT. Sure... he isn't playing the riff correctly but I am talking about the tone. Just add some delay and it NAILS that tone (which isn't the easiest tone to cop btw...)  

Comment

jgcable if you keep promoting my video like this, I will have have to send you some money! Or I should start to do like that other folk that keeps trying to sell his settings on my group.

PowerTube the THR video you posted, as much as it sounded great, and it does, but it did nothing much to me, it was just another good sounding video. A great player into a decent amp (even in a not-so-good-amp) will always manage to get to make it sound right. Don't take it wrong and I'm being constructive here, but it's always depend on what you are expecting to hear from a video.
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Thanks, guys. Yeah, the first and third videos above are the best lead tones I've heard from a Katana in a video yet.

Once I have time I may get over to GC and give one a fair examination.

Comment

UPDATE!!!   I did another rehearsal with it last night with my 70's classic rock band.  These guys are very picky about guitar sound.  I brought my Katana 100 1 x 12 combo and set it at 50w mode. I had the master at around 4.  I lined out of the Katana directly into the mixer.  My sound all night was epic.  Nothing but compliments from my band mates and a smiling face coming from me all night.  Usually... I will bring a tube amp combo and no matter what I bring.. sometimes it sounds great. Sometimes it doesn't sound that great.  The Katana is very consistent.  It always sounds good. It sounds as good at rehearsal as it does at bedroom level at home.  The line out direct works and sounds fantastic.  Using BenoA's 1959 Plexi /Tubescreamer patch is killer.   

Comment

Happy that it is working that great for you and even more that you are using my own settings!

BTW how was setup your line out "Air" option? And was is also your "Resonance" setting?
                JB aka BenoA

Comment

Update.... I went to GC today and tried out the 100-watt combo. It really does have some nice sounds, especially on the Brown setting. This is the first time I've been misled by the videos. I can see why they named it after a sword because I can see this thing "cutting" through a band mix, unlike a lot of modelers.

So a question.... how much more can be unlocked by editing on the computer, and how much more versatility does the footswitch add?

EDIT: I'm a bit disappointed about one thing: the footswitch only seems to allow you to pick between the four channels. My GT-100 has dozens of presets, most of which are defined by me.
                  Last edited by PowerTube; 05-05-2019, 12:21 AM.

Comment

So a question.... how much more can be unlocked by editing on the computer, and how much more versatility does the footswitch add?

EDIT: I'm a bit disappointed about one thing: the footswitch only seems to allow you to pick between the four channels. My GT-100 has dozens of presets, most of which are defined by me.
                    Not to write a book but quickly, The Boss Tone Studio software opens up all the built-in FX/OD and gives you access to all their settings. Also, it let's you move the FX loop in the chain, gives you access to a global EQ that some folks out there rave about and also, you can modify the "AIR" and "RESONANCE" options.

The Katana 100w models have 8 memory slots. Accessible from top of the amp or through the foot controller. The foot controller can also be used as single pedals, being able to do on/off using the FX switch.

You could check "how to" video on my youtube as I show most of what is above.

----------------------

Also, here is a FAQ of collected infos on the Facebook group. Managing the place over 2 years made me gather some interesting data about the amps:

----------------
                    Boss web site software download page:
                    https://www.boss.info/global/support/updates_drivers/h_m/
                    ----------------
                    Get your fix of FREE patches and settings here:
                    http://guitarpatches.com/patches.php?unit=katana
                    or
                    here
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/Katanapatchcentral
                    ----------------
                    The channels on the Katana are not related to the GT serie numbering. The Brown channel comes from the Waza amp and the Lead is not a 5150/6505. Lead/Crunch/Clean were all tweaked and designed for the Katana amps.
                    ----------------
                    There is no USB cable in the box. You will need to buy a USB cable Type A Male to B Male. It's available in any good computer/electronic shop or on Amazon. In the meantime, you can use your USB printer cable, they usually use that type of USB connection.
                    ----------------
                    Need to update your Katana firmware, don't be afraid, here is how to do it:
                    https://youtu.be/n2mP0MX3eyA
                    ----------------
                    Latest amp firmware is v3.02
                    ----------------
                    Before throwing the manual away... Read it, it won't hurt you! If you don't look at it, open the plastic bag, you will find the stickers for the correct button layout/functionality of the GA-FC footswitch.
                    ----------------
                    Newer version of the Boss GA-FC does not require the stickers. It comes with the proper written layout.
                    ----------------
                    The GA-FC does NOT work with the Katana 50w combo. Only with the 100w models (1x12, 2x12, Head & Artist)
                    ----------------
                    Katana Artist / 50 / 100 / Head: all use a common Firmware code and all will receive common firmware updates. The original Katana is NOT obsolete.
                    All Katana amps, including the Artist, use the same power amp
                    ----------------
                    Sneaky amps/hidden amps are leftovers (from the GT serie software) in the Katana chipset and are not optimized for the power amp as the stock models (this is what Boss told me)

You can access them with FxFloorboard (a third party software)
                    https://sourceforge.net/…/fxfloor…/files/KatanaFxFloorBoard/

or by grabbing this files that contains them all:
                    https://guitarpatches.com/patches.php…

In v3, Boss has removed the Orange and Uberschall models.
                    ----------------
                    The Katana Artist 1x12 combo has:
                    On the front panel:
                    Knobs for the Line out and Cab Resonance controls (those controls are already available for all Katana owners using Boss Tone Studio)
                    One more button to access bank A or B
                    In the back:
                    Pair of series 16 ohm speaker output connection and a 8 ohm output
                    Waza speaker (reported to have a smoother midrange)
                    ----------------
                    The Katana amps are not STEREO. All the FX in it are MONO, even the 2x12, even the headphones output... Same for USB... M... O... N... O... Did I say MONO?
                    ----------------
                    V3.02 adds stereo on USB only and on some fx only too.

Katana v3: Important info about the USB stereo

These are the following stereo FX:
                    Chorus, Flanger, Tremolo, Vibrato, Rotary, Ring Mod, Slow Gear, Slicer, Limiter, GEQ, PEQ, DC-30 & Reverb.

Make sure the MOD/FX/Delay or Reverb is set after the "preamp" for getting the stereo FX in USB.

Depending on your recording software, you may have to arm 2 tracks, one having Asio "Katana" on one side, the other "Katana (R)".

If you record in USB-stereo, you will have to finish your mixing with your regular sound card to hear the stereo FX.
                    ----------------
                    There is no drivers to download for Windows 10... Just plug your USB from your computer into the Kat and they will install automatically.
                    ----------------
                    At the moment, there is NO iOS or Android app for the Katana (third party for Android). The new upcoming Air model will have one. You can install Boss Tone Studio in a Windows tablet.
                    ----------------
                    A bunch of "how to videos" that cover some basic operating procedures, check them out most of the common questions are covered here:
                    https://www.youtube.com/playlist…
                    ----------------
                    USB/Phones-rec/Line Out sound all the same. They use all the same cab simulator.
                    ----------------
                    There is no way of bypassing or shutting off the cab simulator, the only way is to use the FX Send Out available when the amp is equipped with an effect loop (100w models only: 1x12, 2x12, Head and Artist).
                    ----------------
                    Katana Mini, 50w 1x12 and Air do not have an effect loop.
                    ----------------
                    For the following controls:

Air Feel affects USB out/Line Out/Phones-Rec out (only those outputs)

Cab resonance will affect, all of the above & the speaker/cab too!

Cab resonance is very subtle but will affect the speaker.
                    https://youtu.be/v8DNNbezHsQ

Direct recording with various Air Feel settings:
                    https://youtu.be/OVmBXwvekEA
                    ----------------
                    When you use Phones-Rec Out, it shuts down the speaker output and Master will control the overall volume going to headphones output.
                    ----------------
                    Line-Out (100w models only) won't shuts down the speaker and won't be affected by the Master Volume. If you are not getting much level from it, crank your Channel Volume at least to 3 o'clock or more.
                    ----------------
                    In Boss Tone Studio you have 3 options for FX loop if you go in the "CHAIN" feature. Also, if you access the options of the loop "S/R" you will be able to put the position to "POST REV" that the FX loop return will be after reverb.
                    ----------------
                    If you want to use the built-FX of the Katana with a looper in the FX loop, use chain 3 and set "S/R" to "POST REV". That way, your looper will be at the end of the chain.
                    ----------------
                    Line-out output is an instrument level signal (-20 dB). The Master volume doesn't affect its level, the Channel volume does.
                    ----------------
                    Factory reset procedure:

Set the POWER CONTROL knob to STANDBY.
                    Press & hold the PANEL button and turn the power on.
                    The BOOSTER/MOD, DELAY/FX, and REVERB indicators start to blink while the factory reset is being processed.
                    Release your finger.
                    It can take up to approximately 20 seconds to complete the factory reset.
                    When the PANEL indicator flashes, the procedure has been successfully completed.
                    Turn the power off.

Or check out this video: https://youtu.be/MCgXdGYjtt8
                    ----------------
                    Is the Katana loud enough? Yes! Fucking Yes! Did I say it is loud? Yes, it is and yes, you can play in a band with the 50w model, so the 100w should be loud enough.
                    ----------------
                    Just in case you missed it, most of the answers can also be found the in the manual, you may take 5 minutes to read it. It won't hurt you.
                    ----------------
                    If you didn't know already, Google let you search the internet. Try it out! Just ask a question, you could be surprised.
                    ----------------
                    KATANA - 50 / 100 / HEAD / ARTIST SPEAKER SPECS

KATANA - 50/112 COMBO: 1 x 12" 4 ohm speaker at 50W.

KATANA - 100/112 COMBO: 1 x 12" 8 ohm speaker at 100W.

KATANA - 100/212 COMBO: 2 x 12" 16 ohm speakers to equal 8ohm at 100W.

KATANA - HEAD: 1 x 5" 8 ohm internal speaker 30W, when Power Control set to 100W.

KATANA - ARTIST: 1 x 12" 8 ohm at 100W WAZA Speaker.
                    ----------------
                    Speaker information:
                    For sure, they are not a PA speaker and not Full Frequency Flat Response (FRFR), they are guitar speakers.

Here is info regarding the speaker from the Waza Amp website page plus some added info by Boss.

In a nut shell the Katana speaker is the affordable performance class version of the Waza Speaker.

In designing the Waza Speaker:

Speakers are an indispensable and critical component for guitar amplifiers that provides much of the “voice” and tone of an amplifier. A lot of components in an amp's circuitry and signal flow can be modded to change the tone, but the speaker is a major component in that chain/signal flow. The speaker used with the early stack amp (British stack, Hendrix, Zep etc) is one of the most highly regarded by top guitarists. In the process of developing the Waza Amp, BOSS engineers tested numerous (vintage green) speakers in combination with many components and configurations of amp circuitry, and found these speakers to be "their" ideal of the rock tone.

The transparent high end, vivid clarity and warm mid-range was found attractive to many artists and engineers involved in the Waza Amp project and the guitar community in general.

However, these classic vintage speakers only have 20 watts of power-handling capacity. In the quest of the perfect Waza Brown Sound, the sound pressure was insufficient for the BOSS engineers (the Waza is a 150w amp head!).

With painstaking craftsmanship and accumulated expertise, BOSS gave birth to a speaker with the raw sound characteristics of the legendary rock speaker, but with 80 watts of power-handling capacity.😎

The study was really in-depth with engineers looking at the type of paper used in these vintage speakers, then looking at the fibers of the paper, then looking at the thickness of the individual fibers of the paper, then looking at the composition of the magnet material, and the iron content. Really detailed scrutiny on every level on all aspects of speaker building. In the process I would say they've become quite the experts on the subject.

So Katana speakers were designed around the Waza Speaker, but designed to be the affordable performance class version.
                    ----------------
                    Information on the tech inside our beloved amp:

1) Katana has an analog FET gain stage as the first thing your guitar signal hits (before A/D conversion). This analog gain stage plays a huge part of why Katana reacts with your guitar's electronics very much like a tube amp. Importantly it is why you are able to slam Katana's input with an Overdrive pedal and it reacts great. (Other digital amps turn into garbled mush when you overload their A/D convertors with a Tube Screamer turned up full blat in the amp's input).

2) Most digital amps use a high effeciency power amp, coupled with a flat(ish) response speaker. Because they are attempting to closely replicate classic amp tones solely within their DSP, they then want to output the final result as cleanly and accurately as possible. This is a very good methodology for accurate modelled tones, but it translates to a very unnatural tactile response for the guitar player, compared to a tube amp.

A huge amount of Katana's magic is in it's power amp design. It has a Class A/B push-pull power design (just like a tube amp) that operates at high impedance (just like a tube amp) with low speaker damping (just like a tube amp) and is prone to audio imperfections and back-current interference from the speaker movement.....just like a tube amp. To all intents and purposes Katana's power amp works just like a tube power amp. Also.....Katana's speaker (whether the regular Katana speaker or the excellent G12W Waza Craft Speaker) is a guitar-voiced speaker. It's not built for flat response - it's built to sound a lot like a Greenback.

Katana is a unique HYBRID of digital technology and great analog engineering.
                    JB aka BenoA

Comment

Thanks, BenoA. That's a lot of info to absorb so I'll do it slowly while I practice walking and chewing gum at the same time.

If I get one, I might go with the head version because I really like my cabs, a Carvin 4x12 and a Marshall 1960A. Especially at the price point, I might replace the current rig.

Comment

Update.... I went to GC today and tried out the 100-watt combo. It really does have some nice sounds, especially on the Brown setting. This is the first time I've been misled by the videos. I can see why they named it after a sword because I can see this thing "cutting" through a band mix, unlike a lot of modelers.

Allow me to chime in. I am primarily a live player so here is my take on the editing and the floorboard. The Editor is intuitive and gives you access to just about every Boss Stomp Box ever made. You can edit every one of them just like the real stomp boxes. Its very simple to install and use. Not complicated at all. You have limited adjustments on the stomp boxes if you just use the amp.
                        Now... on to the GA-FC controller. Its actually 5 channels. 4 channels and whatever the panel is currently set at. I am a lead player so I need 3 sounds. Clean, high gain rhythm and solo. There is a slight delay in channel switching which doesn't work for me live. Its ok going from clean to rhythm but I can't have any delay in switching when going from rhythm to solo. There are 2 ways to do it. You can program the loop to give you solo boost. there is a switch on the floorboard for it. Or... you can plug in a standard Roland EV5 expression/volume pedal directly into the GA-FC and now you have adjustable solo boost in any channel you want. The footswitch is one of the most well thought out compact footswitches I have seen in a really long time. You can put it in manual mode and turn stomp boxes on and off too.
                        For instance you can have a clean tone and add a tube screamer and turn it on and off with the footswitch and believe me... the tube screamer REALLY sounds like a tube screamer. Boss Tone Studio and the GA-FC footswitch are both outstanding!

Comment

Thanks, BenoA. That's a lot of info to absorb so I'll do it slowly while I practice walking and chewing gum at the same time.

If I get one, I might go with the head version because I really like my cabs, a Carvin 4x12 and a Marshall 1960A. Especially at the price point, I might replace the current rig.
                          the head is great. All of the functionality of the combo, plus midi, plus built in speaker so you can sit it on your coffee table for playing in front of the TV without having to haul a cabinet into your living room
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                            Happy that it is working that great for you and even more that you are using my own settings!

BTW how was setup your line out "Air" option? And was is also your "Resonance" setting?
                            I have it set at Blend and Vintage. To me that combo sounds like the actual amp.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                              I have it set at Blend and Vintage. To me that combo sounds like the actual amp.
                              On my side, my fav for recording is Rec+Vintage. However, for fun, I did some tests running my Katana into my EV powered speaker in my music room and "blend" was my favorite setting when going through it (Kat was left on standby for no speaker output).

For what it's worth, here is a mic vs direct comparison. All settings/details are shown during the video

JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                              X