Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boss Katana 100 Combo V3 with Sneaky Amps....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss Katana 100 Combo V3 with Sneaky Amps....

This amp seems to get more glowing reviews online and on videos than most of the amps that came out in 2018. So... I bought one.
    Katana 100 1 x 12 combo. I installed the Version 3 software update and I also downloaded the sneaky amps (basically all the amp models from the Boss GT100) into Boss Tone Studio which is their editing program. Super easy to use.
    Anyway... on to the review.
    The amp sounds fantastic live.
    Its pretty mandatory that you use Boss Tone Studio to tweak your sounds. There isn't that much you can do with just the knobs on the amp.
    The amp models sound real.. they feel real.. they react like real amps.
    The crunch channel is outstanding
    Boss did an amazing job digitizing all their stomp boxes and including them in this amp.
    The 1 x 12 100w combo is absolutely loud enough to gig with a loud drummer unmic'd set at 50 watts!!!!
    If you need to play low because the baby is sleeping and you need that same killer sound just set the amp to 0.5 watts!
    Just like the Yamaha THR modeling amps (which I feel are the most REAL sounding desktop modeling amps I have ever owned), the Boss Katana doesn't feel or sound like a modeling amp. The guys in my band all thought it was a tube amp.
    Let me list the pro's and cons....
    Better yet... let me just post the cons because there are too many pro's to list!!
    It doesn't come with that GA-FC foot controller.
    There is a delay in channel switching. Its minor but its there. Because of that... I use a Roland EV-5 expression pedal for solo volume boost.
    You really need to use Boss Tone Studio to dial in the effects. For instance... with delay.. you can only adjust level and time if you are just using amp controls. If you go into Tone Studio you can dial in everything. Tone Studio is a MUST.
    So.... if you are looking for an amp that you can take to rehearsal, keep at home, record with, gig with.... that doesn't break your back or the bank. If you are looking for an amp that does everything good. Especially mid gain Marshall type tones... you really should look at the Katana.

Great news and review. Iv'e been on the fence between the Boss and the YAMAHA THR10x. They both sound amazing in the videos but haven't got to play one first hand. This review really helps. It seems the Boss has the 50w amp but the Yamaha is more like an interface. Thanks!
    Last edited by z1n; 02-08-2019, 04:55 PM.

Comment

I have the 50w Katana and love it.

I also have the THR5 and have always been happy with it, but I prefer the full size speaker in the BOSS.
      I do think the THR sounds better at whisper volume when I want to practice at night.

The only negative about the BOSS is the lack of a built in tuner.

Comment

I've been preaching about them for over 2 years now. Great amps

I'm the creator and moderator of an +8000 members facebook group about them (probably the biggest one)

I do own a Kata Head + Boss 2x12, Kat 50 and Mini... As I don't gig anymore, only had 2 occasions of trying the Kat Head live and it was as using a regular amp.

For solo boost, I could show you I use the FX loop + a patch cable (if you don't use it for other FX).

As Freedom's post above, I also have a THR5 but the Kat 50w is a notch above and let's you jam with other musician. Only the mono USB interface bugs me, the THR has a way better USB integration than the Katanas.
        JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
        Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I wasn't at all comparing the Katana to the Yamaha. I just mentioned the Yamaha THR because its not the typical sounding modeling amp.
          Neither is the Katana.

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post

I'm the creator and moderator of an +8000 members facebook group about them (probably the biggest one)

I do own a Kata Head + Boss 2x12, Kat 50 and Mini... As I don't gig anymore, only had 2 occasions of trying the Kat Head live and it was as using a regular amp.

For solo boost, I could show you I use the FX loop + a patch cable (if you don't use it for other FX).

As Freedom's post above, I also have a THR5 but the Kat 50w is a notch above and let's you jam with other musician. Only the mono USB interface bugs me, the THR has a way better USB integration than the Katanas.
            My Katana 100 1 x 12 is pretty awesome. I tried the effects loop trick with the jumper. Works great. I have done that with other modeling amps too. I just ordered the GA-FC controller and the EV-5 expression pedal. Seem like no brainers for the Katana.
            I A/B'd my Katana against my Marshall DSL20HR and a 1 x 12 cab loaded with a Celestion T75 and here is what I heard.
            When unmic'd.... the Marshall sounds fuller with more body. The Katana sounds a little bit boxy and its on the brighter side.
            When mic'd.... the Katana is easier to hear and overall has a better cleaner high gain Marshall sound. It really is a remarkable amp.
            When I turn the Katana up it just doesn't get louder.. it gets better! That's pretty cool! The best thing about it is if you don't want to tweak at all and you don't want to use Boss Studio on the PC you can easily dial up great tones. Basically it has 5 settings... acoustic, clean, crunch, lead, and brown. Just pick one and dial up some effects, adjust the basic EQ and turn the volume up.

Comment

I picked up the 100w Katana head a while ago. It's great. I usually use the inbuilt 5" speaker for playing on the couch. But it sounds great through a cab. Haven't used it live because I don't have a f/switch for it, but at a gig a while ago I took it along as a back up. After we finished soundcheck, I swapped in the Katana and was surprised at how loud it was. Sounded great at volume with the band too. If I had to get through a gig just using the Katana clean channel (since no f/switch) & my pedalboard, I'm confident it would get the job done.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post

I downloaded your heavy metal patch on the patch exchange. Absolutely killer. I just tweaked it a little and its now my go to patch for everything metal.

Comment

I've got a Katana 50 and I love it. I use the Rockerverb model from the sneaky amps set and I've pretty much replicated my sound from when I was using an Orange Dark Terror. I recorded this with it the other day:

https://soundcloud.com/kerryymm/poke...-backing-track

Comment

Originally posted by skullfunkerry View Post
                    I've got a Katana 50 and I love it. I use the Rockerverb model from the sneaky amps set and I've pretty much replicated my sound from when I was using an Orange Dark Terror. I recorded this with it the other day:

https://soundcloud.com/kerryymm/poke...-backing-track

sounds great bro

Comment

All kidding aside I love your tube amp reviews despite being a snarky modeler player. So this really is a shock to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                        I downloaded your heavy metal patch on the patch exchange. Absolutely killer. I just tweaked it a little and its now my go to patch for everything metal.
                        Happy I could help!!! Rock on!
                        JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                          Great news and review. Iv'e been on the fence between the Boss and the YAMAHA THR10x. They both sound amazing in the videos but haven't got to play one first hand. This review really helps. It seems the Boss has the 50w amp but the Yamaha is more like an interface. Thanks!
                          This is one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard, bar none. But to get it, I would need to tweak it through the PC. Not a biggie to do that, though.

Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

Originally posted by PowerTube View Post
                            This is one of the best guitar tones I've ever heard, bar none. But to get it, I would need to tweak it through the PC. Not a biggie to do that, though.

I totally agree. I own one. Its outstanding and so real sounding and feeling.
                            With that said... and I understand that tone is subjective of course... the Katana is better. It sounds just as good, if not better, has tons more features and tones, has a much better PC edit suite and you can gig with it no problem.
                            They also make a small Katana called the Air I believe which is a desktop modeling amp similar in size to the Yamaha.
                            There have been many reviews and shoot outs between the 2 and the Boss wins most if not all of them. For home rehearsal I just set my Katana 100 1 x 12 combo on the .05w setting and its bedroom level automatically without having to turn a single knob. For rehearsal with a LOUD live band I just set it at 50 watts with the master almost 1/2 up. Plenty of volume to literally drown out a loud drummer believe it or not. At 100 watts I could play a small to medium sized club with no mic. I always use a mic on my guitar amp though so its set at 50 watts with about 30% of the master volume and 1/2 of the channel volume. Its an extremely loud amp if you need it to be.

Comment

I agree with jgcable. I have a THR5 and a few Katanas (Head+2x12, Kat 50w, Mini), and for me, the only thing better on the THR is the USB interface as an audio interface (the one on the Kat could have been way better and that is a complete other topic, don't get me started). But except that, the Kat does it all. And I keep saying it, the 50w is probably the best bang for the bucks out there. Low volume, band volume, headphones, not too heavy, easy to lug around, bunch of built-in FX/OD and above all of this, it sounds good. I wish I could have got such an amp for that price when I started out. We live in great times!
                              JB aka BenoA

Comment

Working...
                              X