digitech 2120 artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• digitech 2120 artist

Anybody use one of these? Let me know what you think of it.

Re: digitech 2120 artist

I used to own one for a while, as my first rack preamp/effects unit. Personally, in the end, it just didn't cut the mustard or stand up to other preamp or preamp/effects units for what I wanted. It always felt somewhat dead and stiff in the dynamics/sensitivity department, and its preamp section always seemed kinda blah for the high-gain sound I wanted. Programmability and programming flexibility is another story, and I don't think anything I've ever seen or tried comes anywhere close to the 2120 in that respect. Very very nicely designed and laid out...but, in the end, it didn't have it for me in the most important aspect--sound. If you want it for clean and mildly distorted stuff, then I'd say you might love it...if you want an all-out metal monster, I'd say, look elsewhere.

If you want an all-in-one preamp/effects unit like that, I'd suggest checking out the Rocktron units...Chameleon, Voodu Valve, Prophesy...they and others all have their different strong suits, depending on what you want it for. In particular, the Voodu Valve has nice tube-ish girth to it, and I would say is the best "all around" choice for price/features/sound.

Comment

I would be using it for reverbs and delays, flanges, eq.... Stuff like that. I run a Dual Rectifier so I dont need the preamp side of it.

Comment

Ahhh...well, then, as wonderfully flexible, configurable and customizable as the 2120's effects section is, I DEFINITELY would not suggest it as an effects-only unit. It's not really made to do that very well like, say, the Rocktron Prophesy is. The biggest issue being that its Effects Loop is BEFORE the preamp, so, no matter what you do, it's gonna go through the preamp section. And it's got the most nasty preamp section to try to configure to NOT have affect your sound somehow. The only unit in that line of Digitech units that MIGHT be suggestable would be the 2101, which you could configure the loop wherever in the chain you wanted, from all I've read about it.

I'd strongly suggest that, if you want an effects-only unit, that you take a look at the units that are created specifically for that purpose. The Rocktron Intellifex is a long-time fave of some. Some people are still using the old old Alesis Quadraverb, and still love those (dirt cheap!). The newest, and arguably best for the money/quality ratio is the TC Electronic G-Major. The G-Major didn't originally have an onboard EQ section, but they added a 3-band parametric to it in a software upgrade (downloadable and installable via MIDI), and new units might have it already installed. There are many other effects-only units out there, but, definitely, I'd say you'd do yourself a better service with getting one of those rather than a preamp/effects combination unit. Right tool for the job, made for the job, yaknow? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the earlier 2101 model, and that unit has the fx return located after the preamp. Until I got my PODxt, I was running one output of my V-Amp2 into the fx return of the 2101, and the 2101 outputs into the board to complement the other dry V-Amp2 output that went straight into the board. The 2101 is truly frightening because you can chain together any combination of effects imaginable up to the limits of the 2101's memory capacity. Of course, you'd better love tweaking gear a LOT to get into one of those, but they can be had relatively cheap nowadays, and the effects are great.

Comment

Thanks! Good to know! My brother is running a G major right now so maybe I will look at one of those instead.
            Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

I have a 2101 artist, and if the 2120 is anything like it, the effects are INSANE. the programming potential is huge, and you can do some off the wall things.
              That being said, the preamp section is SO-so..if you want to do some 80s style metal sounds or stuff like that..it's pretty good. You just can't get the high gain crunch out of it.
              Now...if I had the money to buy a VHT Gp3 preamp(DROOL!)...that rigged into my 2101 Artist would be AWESEOME!

Comment

Working...
              X