Spring Reverb Tank question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Reverb Tank question...

I have a 1977 Lab Series L-11 head. The reverb tank was missing so I purchased an accutronics. It dropped right in. The accutronics has a red and a white input/output. My amp has a red and a black. I assumed red would go to red and black would go to white. Well... it doesn't work plugged in that way. When I reverse the wires and plug the red into the black and the white into the red the reverb works perfectly. The reverb unit I bought is a direct replacement for what was in there. Holy crap does it have a ton of reverb. On 4 it has enough reverb to do Dick Dale surf music. Its almost too much reverb.
    Anyway.... is there any reason for red not going to red?

The colors don't mean anything.

What matters is that one end of the reverb is like a speaker, and the other is like a pickup. The speaker end has low impedance to drive the reverb, the other side picks up the reverb'd signal with a high impedance like a guitar pickup.

You got lucky that it works since you didn't get a reverb tank that matched the impedance(s) of what the circuit called for.

If you want the red going to red and the white going to black, get some RCA cables and start cutting and soldering. Or maybe paint the accutronics (nail polish maybe?).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      The colors don't mean anything.

What matters is that one end of the reverb is like a speaker, and the other is like a pickup. The speaker end has low impedance to drive the reverb, the other side picks up the reverb'd signal with a high impedance like a guitar pickup.

You got lucky that it works since you didn't get a reverb tank that matched the impedance(s) of what the circuit called for.

If you want the red going to red and the white going to black, get some RCA cables and start cutting and soldering. Or maybe paint the accutronics (nail polish maybe?).
      According to the company online (amprepairparts.com) I got the reverb unit from.. it is the replacement unit for the L3, L5 and the L7 and L9. I assume the L11 would take the same reverb unit. I can't imagine Gibson/Moog would use different reverb tanks for different models.

Comment

Ok. Your first post made it sound like you purchased a generic accutronics tank. I guess you are done unless those colors are an issue.

Comment

Working...
        X