Soldano SLO Rules!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Soldano SLO Rules!!!

Neddi in that pic you look like Dave Menekitti of Y & T on steroids... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Bill Z Bald
    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Believe it or not foolios, I use to think I was SOOOOOOO cool back then- What a tool I was/am! FM
      www.facebook.com/neddistanz

Comment

I also have a rackmount SLO. It was one of the first made in 89. There is a slight varience
        in tone because of the zinc/aluminum faceplate
        however, because of the internal fan I wouldn't recommend it in a recording enviroment. Overall,
        it sounds to close to differ between the 2. The x88r however varies depending on the power amp used. Many are using them with el34's. I would recommend a power amp with either 6l6's or 6550's.
        That would be more in line with the SLO power section.

Comment

To add to the JCF member above who owns the same amplifier as myself:
          My SLO Rackmount is a 1992 model/serial # 921014 and has the chrome covered DeYoung Transformers with manufacturer name and model #s on them.

I played a SLO in standard format from 97(I believe) and it sounded very close,but the rackmount unit was still a bit more "heavier"and thicker in the Bass and Overdrive areas.
          Granted mine does have the depth Mod and scoop switch for the crunch channel,but stock SLO's right out of the box are hard to beat.

I did compare mine to a stock(full size head) SLO with MY amp's Mod channels zero'd.The rackmount SLO was still a big difference.
          More in all the applicable area's is allI can say.

I see alot of JCF members who are big fans of the Heavy Metal 80s/90s tones and I see them gravitating towards the Soldano/Bogner Uberschall/VHT and CAE gear.
          You guys are right on the mark there for certian.
          Just a differing taste and matter of player applications when comparing or using those units for the heavier music we all seem to LOVE.
          Heres a simple recipe:USA Jackson Guitar plus equal parts of:Soldano/Custom Audio Electronics,Bogner,VHT....shake well and add talent.
          Voila....instant Shred Tones!
          [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

My SLO is a 92. Is there any truth to the "earlier ones are better" rumors?
            If so, what were the differences and what year did the change happen?

This question is based on Harmony Central reviews were some things along these lines were mentioned.

Comment

Chuck,

As far as I know there are no differences between
              old an new components or build quality. All Slo's have the same deyoung transformers. Chrome trannies at one time were an option along with kt88's. Michael stopped the "chromie" option because of the overheating factor. The only difference that you would run into today is that Michael and Bill
              personally worked on all the amps up until the move to van nuys (late 91). All amps thereafter would have been built by "employees". Does it really matter? Probably not. I have several of the pre van nuys heads in my personal collection
              and we have a 99 in the studio. Again no real noticable difference going into the board. The
              quality of components keeps these things pretty consistent.

Comment

I have noticed a "little" difference in the Soldano SLO heads without the effects loop or slave out in them.
                To my ears they seem a bit brighter in upper *Presence and *Treble spectrums.Not icepick type highs,but brighter in overall tone.
                I have read in the past at the "old " board(weep,sniff,sigh)that there are owners of SLO's who prefer the heads they own without the loop or slave options.
                I'd like to hear some feedback from them if they have heard the same from other SLOs that they have heard WITH the loop/slave and see if they agree..?
                Mortiss is pretty much on the money when he says that the SLOs are Equally Consistent in components and quality(build wise).Nobody builds em like Soldano(at least like the SLO)
                I just hear a bit more agressive tonality in the rackmount SLO for my music(all metal in a-440)and I've gotten soused to it's responsive tightness that no other "Head" does it for me. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                X