JCM2000 DSL 50 thoughts..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM2000 DSL 50 thoughts..

So I got a local trade offer for my SLSMG. It's for a DSL 50. It's an original DSL 50, not the newer DSL's. I'm not looking to replace my Engl. It's just a good trade and It'll be nice to have something totally different from my Engl. It's dead mint and comes with a road case and cover and foot switch. Aside from doing a few retubes I have a very little experience tonewise with anything 2000. I know what to expect from 800's, 900's and JVM's, but not really sure about these. Out of the box, what kind of gain structure am I looking at? How is the clean channel? What do you hate/like about this amp?
    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Not sure about the 50 watter.

I've had my DSL100 since 1998. I bought a Lynchbox last year to get more variety of tones, but I keep going back to my DSL.

Gain? The red channel is hotter, the green is more traditional. The boost on the green is nice, I don't use the boost on the red.

Clean? I don't really use clean on any amps. I just back off the volume on the guitar.

What do I love? The tone. Just plug in and go.

What do I hate? Pretty much the same as everyone else. Separate tone controls for each channel would be awesome.

Comment

As DonP mentioned that is the only bad thing about the amp. If it had separate E.Q. for each channel it would be perfect. I really can't say one bad thing about that amp other than what Don has made mention of. It's a killer amp. I love the way it sounds.
      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Funny you should mention the DSL 50 (JCM 2000). I just played mine out in my band at a New Year's Eve gig it's a very PA friendly amp, easy to get good mic'd tones out of. The clean channel is nice but I mostly use the distortion channel only then roll my guitar volume knob down for clean parts. Good amp to have in your collection. Only downside is there are some reliability issues with the speaker output jacks but there are also some mods to easily fix that. Actually, I have two of these 50w heads, one with stock internals and the other with Mercury Magnetics transformers and choke. I haven't modded the output jacks yet but will eventually get around to it.
        My stock DSL50 is housed in an aftermarket white Marshall replica headshell, I'll post pix of it later today. Played it through a Sourmash 2x12 loaded with Vintage 30 speakers as stage space was at a premium and couldn't bring the 4x12.
        Rudy
        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
          Funny you should mention the DSL 50 (JCM 2000). I just played mine out in my band at a New Year's Eve gig it's a very PA friendly amp, easy to get good mic'd tones out of. The clean channel is nice but I mostly use the distortion channel only then roll my guitar volume knob down for clean parts. Good amp to have in your collection. Only downside is there are some reliability issues with the speaker output jacks but there are also some mods to easily fix that. Actually, I have two of these 50w heads, one with stock internals and the other with Mercury Magnetics transformers and choke. I haven't modded the output jacks yet but will eventually get around to it.
          My stock DSL50 is housed in an aftermarket white Marshall replica headshell, I'll post pix of it later today. Played it through a Sourmash 2x12 loaded with Vintage 30 speakers as stage space was at a premium and couldn't bring the 4x12.
          I've had a myriad of different Marshall heads including the one being talked about in this thread and I've never had any issues with the speaker outputs. What kind of reliability issues?
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Its a very mediocre amp. It does everything good. Nothing great. I have owned the DSL50, 100, the TSL 50 and 100. The DSL100 is the best sounding to my ears.

Comment

Also, the build quality isn't the greatest. I have a friend who plays one live in a rock/metal band and his tone is good, and acceptable but not great. Not like your Engl. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                I'd like to know more about the speaker jack issues as well. I'm always unplugging / plugging my cab into different heads. Never had any issues yet.

Also, how great is the difference between the MM upgraded head and the stock head. I really love the tone of my stock head and I'm afraid of doing something that would take it into the wrong direction. But I'm curious as to what you hear as the differences. If I want a big change in the tone I'll throw an EQ in the loop.

Comment

My friend is a tech and from what was explained to me there is a ground on the 16 ohm jack on the amp which is lifted by a switch when a speaker cable is inserted. Over time this switch corrodes and he has seen some melt to the board. He mods the amp to provide a constant ground to all 3 jacks on the back and eliminates that internal switch. Neither of my 2 DSL 50's have been modded this way yet but I plan on having them done.
                  As far as the differences between the Mercury Magnetics equipped amp vs. my stock one, I'd say the MM equipped head is more articulate. Then again to be fair about it both heads aren't loaded with the same tubes so that can account for some difference in them too. No, they are not Engl in tone but as I said before, these JCM 2000's mic up really well through a PA and cut well as most Marshalls do. I also think the DSL 50 is somewhat better sounding at useable volumes than the DSL 100 or the TSL. Anyway, here are some shots of my setup from New Year's Eve. The place was not small but the stage space was.

Rudy
                  www.metalinc.net

Comment

Man that looks great in white.I'll be using it with a 1960AV. Don't worry John, I'd never ditch the Engl. I just wanted something different as an option. I'm gonna go for it. If I don't like it I could always flip it, but at least it will be something to tinker with for a while. Thanks for all the feedback!

Comment

Thanks for the info Rudy. Of course it's the 16 ohm I'm always using (shit!). Looks like I'll be doing some preventive maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Thanks for the info Rudy. Of course it's the 16 ohm I'm always using (shit!). Looks like I'll be doing some preventive maintenance.
                        You're welcome. I didn't know about this either till my friend had a couple JCM 2000's in his shop for repairs because if this issue. I will eventually have him mod both of mine address this before it happens.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

I have a DSL100 and it has been a good amp for me. It's all tube distortion lacks the edge that the diode clipping circuits of most high gain amps have, but it takes pedals very well and can easily be pushed into shred city while retaining that sweet Marshall grind!
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Shit Deal fell through. I did sell my SLSMG though. Time to go head shopping!

Comment

Just remember that used heads likely have shit tubes in them, and the cab is an important part of the tone. I've played many USED DSL's that don't sound that great due to tubes and speakers.

Comment

Working...
                              X