Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ahhh...Craigslist "Score"!

Ahhh...Craigslist "Score"!

I've been patrolling eBay and CL for 80's vintage tube amps for the past couple months. I've gotten it in my head to "upgrade" the guest stacks in the basement studio that the guitarists in my 80's metal tribute use to rehearse. The deal is this: I've got a bass stack, two full guitar stacks, an 8 piece drum kit, and full PA down there, so when we rehearse, they walk in with their guitars and pedals, and don't have to set anything up. It's a nice arrangement. Low fuss, no muss. Currently, my "guest amps" are a Peavey Windsor (meh, it does 80's metal okay...just doesn't clean up well.) and a Crate Lee Jackson Stealth (Ah...this one DOES 80's metal very well...it's a sleeper!). I've got literally nothing in either one of these amp heads. I think the Windsor was traded for a POS Line 6 Spyder III that was on my first "guest half stack". I had $300 in that whole half stack, and that included a Randall cabinet with 75 watt Celestions. The Stealth came to me off CL a year or two ago for $200 with a Celestion 75 watt loaded Randall cab from teh early 80's.

I've been looking at other "low cost" (read that as "cheap") 80's tube amps, but here in my area, I can seldom find anything decent sounding for less than $350-$700, (Peavey VTM or Triumph and JCM800 Marshalls respectively) so my "guest stacks" were wearing the cheap heads listed above.

At Christmas, we were going to visit my parents in Charlotte, and for some odd reason, I checked Charlotte CL on Monday morning. On December 8th, there was a post from Denver, NC stating the following:

Laney AOR Series 50W TUBE guitar head - $125 (Denver)
    Laney AOR Series II 50w guitar head. All tube, sounds great, everything works. Needs some cosmetics (knobs, road wear). Lets make a deal! $125 OBO

Email or phone for pics...

Hm....$125, eh? Wait...$125? For a Laney AOR? Now mind you, I've not seen an AOR or a Pro-Tube go for less than $350 on eBay in quite some time, and that doesn't factor in shipping costs that add at least $50 to the price.

I did some quick research, and low and behold, some folks like these amps...a lot. The terms "Hot-Rod Marshall", and "Marshall-like", and "Poor-man's Marshall" were bandied about quite a bit. In the 80's, when I could afford neither, I wanted either a JCM800 or a Laney Pro-Tube, just due to the players that pimped them in Guitar World, Guitar Player, and Guitar For the Practicing Musician! $125? Heh, I'm on it!

I hit the seller up for info and pix, and he sent me some poorly taken shots of the amp, and it was indeed a Laney Pro-Tube. He also said it sounded great, and had no scratchy pots, but it was missing the badge and two knobs. I told him I'd be in town on the 24th through the 26th, and I'd like to come check it out. That's when communications stopped. Dammit.

I arrived at the parent's house, and they asked what I wanted for my birthday in January. I said "nothing", but they weren't having it, so I said, okay, well, there's this cheap amp I'm looking at in Denver...if the guy emails me back, it's like $125. They said "We'll buy it for you!" Okay...this is getting easier....

So, I sent a text to the guy's # and told him I'd take it, sight unseen. No response.

I called and said I'd take it...in a voicemail...no response.

I texted again a couple hours later, around 8 PM....nothing.

I started thinking it wasn't going to happen....

At 11:47 on Christmas Eve, I got a text. "Yeah man...let's get up. Maybe tomorrow? Call me in the morning"

I replied that I'd call at 10 AM, and he said that worked.

Next day, I called....voicemail. I texted...no response. Later that night, I called...voicemail. I texted...no response.

My fiancee said "Maybe he sold it and doesn't want to call you? Or maybe the price was a misprint, and he's scared to call you back and tell you?" Grrr....

So I woke up this morning, sent a text that by noon, I was heading back home. A half hour later, he said he could meet up at mid-day, and sent me his address. I drove 30 minutes to the address, and there it was.

It was dusty, missing the badge and a few knobs. A nick or three in the tolex. To top it all off, he didn't have a cabinet there, so I couldn't test drive it, but he had an "honest face"....and I'd been waiting for days. He assured me it worked.

I got home this evening, and wiped it down. According to the transformers, it was assembled in January of 1986. Everything "looked" okay from the visual inspection of the tubes & sockets.

There is a GT 12AX7 and three RFT 12AX7's in the preamp. Get this, there's two EL34's, and the logo on the glass is faint and fading, but they look like...Telefunken?? (I'll pull them tomorrow....but damn if it doesn't look like the remains of that logo...)

Anyway, I took the amp, put it on the stack, selected the proper impedance load, and warmed her up. Plugged in my '86 Charvel Model 2, and hit the Standby......

Hey, we've got TONE! Man, this amp actually sounds really good! Very British with loads of gain on tap, and it cleans up very nicely. I didn't get ripped off, apparently!

So $125, 27 texts, 6 unanswered phone calls, and a lot of miles to the seller, back to my parents to pick the fiancee and dogs up, and then back home, and then a good wipe down, and I guess I've got a Laney AOR Pro-Tube Lead Craigslist Score story...I guess

Horrible night time cam-phone shot from the studio dungeon!

Congrats! Your persistence landed you that amp. You definetly can't beat that price!
    Rudy
    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Amazing catch and well worth the work. I'm blown away that it even fired up at that price. I'd say drop the bucks to replace the tubes (just to be on the safe side) then enjoy the hell out of it.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

Doesn't that just annoy the shit out you, trying to get a response from an ad they put up. I don't get it.

Nice score, BTW. I admire your persistence, I would've give up on it.

Comment

I travel - for business - and i can say that not everywhere is here.

There are towns where the 2nd page of Cl is the garbage no one wanted. If it was posted yesterday, its gone or junk.
          And there are towns where responses within the first 3 hours are ignored because they are spam, scams, no shows, or business trying to resell. and it will be days for a meeting after initial contact.

They are also the towns where you find the best or worse prices.
          You buy that Marshall for 3500 or 200.

Just to throw this out there, that's why a big federal government doesn't work. Whats good for one place doesn't work in another.

Comment

Have there been any mods to it? What is that white box next to the standby switch and Presence?

I still have my AOR 50. Perfect for AC/DC, Tesla, Krokus (think Long Stick goes Boom).

Comment

That's a good bit of hassle to deal with but well worth it for that amp at such a steal price!! Nice score bro! HNAD!
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Have there been any mods to it? What is that white box next to the standby switch and Presence?

I still have my AOR 50. Perfect for AC/DC, Tesla, Krokus (think Long Stick goes Boom).
                No mods that I can tell.

The white box is a sticker. It will be coming off....

Better pix to come sometime today probably, as I get further into cleaning her up.

The amp sounds great...well worth the price!

Comment

You confirm what the EL 34's were yet?
                  I just had a new Ruby EL34 BHT peter out on me so back to the store for another one.LOL
                  I have a Crate Lee Jackson stealth 1/2 stack too/V30's and its a great amp.Mine has the 4 6V6's.
                  Last edited by straycat; 12-28-2013, 09:23 AM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    You confirm what the EL 34's were yet?
                    I just had a new Ruby EL34 BHT peter out on me so back to the store for another one.LOL
                    I have a Crate Lee Jackson stealth 1/2 stack too/V30's and its a great amp.Mine has the 4 6V6's.
                    Yup, Telefunken. Go figure. Probably been in the amp since before they got "popular".

In my other EL34 amps I've used JJ's and EH. Neither has given me any issues.

My Stealth is a 50 wat 6V6 amp too....quite the sleeper!

Comment

Telefunken? Nice! Don't change 'em unless they start sounding bad... some of those old tubes last a remarkably long time.​

Comment

Great deal on a great amp...! These were not cheap at the time, were manufactured only for a few years and not in huge quantities...can you say under the radar/dark horse?
                        Drive Fast Cars & Play Cool Guitars!!!

Comment

Killer Deal Dude! Very nice. Yeah sometimes with C/List if you don't give up & keep on trying you might just find a sweet deal out there! \m/
                          *Kramer Focus 4000 "V" 85' with OFR \m/
                          *Kramer Focus 1000 85' with OFR \m/
                          *Randall RG100ES Full Stack (85') Black Tolex with Matching R412JB & R412JT Jaguar Loaded Cabs "THE "DIME" METAL MONSTER" \m/
                          Randall RG100ES (88') Gray Carpet "THE METAL MONSTER" \m/
                          *Ampeg VH140C HEAD....O.M.G. METAL HEAVEN! \m/
                          *ADA MP-1 (3.666 RECTO/SOLDANO) MOD* \m/
                          *Digitech RP-1 "THE ORIGINAL" \m/
                          *Morley Vai Bad Horsie 2 Wah \m/

​*LONG LIVE THE M-E-T-A-L!" \m/

Comment

Originally posted by xbolt View Post
                            Great deal on a great amp...! These were not cheap at the time, were manufactured only for a few years and not in huge quantities...can you say under the radar/dark horse?
                            Yup. Back when they were new, I wanted one badly, but couldn't afford it (or so I thought at the time). I played cheap amps and pricey guitars...LOL

Been looking for one of these on the cheap for awhile now. Now to find an Ampeg/Lee Jackson VL502 or VL1002!

Comment

Working...
                            X