No announcement yet.

Marshall VS100 vs Uber-expensive rig live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my Marshall Valvestate 102R combo for rehersals and live performances, Behringer 4x12 box and Schecter Omen 7 extreme with Q-tuner GL7 pickup.
    The Lead guitarist had a Mesa Boggie Dual Rectifier, Marshall 1960 box and Ibanez Universe 7.

It was like a match between David and Goliath but at allmost every gig we had i was told i had way better sound than him...
    And it was bulletproof. Sure they lack bottom end, but as we played black metal, that was not the primary thing i needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitch View Post
      Believe it or not, it was the MG100HDFX that Wayne used. His argument was they sounded good and if he blew one he could just run to the closest big box guitar store and buy a new at any time.

I dont know what Wayne used in the later days... I remember in the beginning his sound was kind of sterile/industrial... But it was just so different from everybody else at the time. I do remember him saying "Our stuffs easy because I have to play it". Lol. There were a lot of fun times back then.
      A few Charvels, a bunch of Jacksons, JVM full stack, valve king half stack and an 4000 watt PA for a home stereo, my neighbors love me....

Comment

When you look up the 8100 or the VS100H you will usually see references of Chuck from Death. You will also read about the debates on which version sounds better etc... Well I can put this to bed. They sound exactly the same. There may be some minor design changes but in regards to tone.. they sound identical. Regarding who played it live and who didn't or who used it in the studio or who didn't it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is your ears. I have an entire room full of tube amps. Most of them are Marshalls. I absolutely feel I know what a Marshall amp is supposed to sound like. From the Plexi's to the 800's to the 900's to the 2000's and newer. The 8100/VS100 sounds like a JCM900 Model 4100. The difference is it sounds the same regardless of the room or the environment. I can get plenty of thump out of a VS100 going through the right cabs. They just love 4 x 12 Marshall cabs loaded with either T75's or 80's.

Comment

I had a VS100 many years ago. It certainly was a cheap and decent sounding amp. I really liked how light it was too. I've heard all kinds of know-it-alls arguing that the 8100s are vastly superior to the VS100s, but always figured it was a load of bullshit. I've thought about picking another one up just to play around with.

Also, if I remember correctly, Tommy Victor uses the VS100 or at least used to.
          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Here is some possibly useful info....
            My 80's arena rock metal band had a gig last Saturday. Small club. Packed to capacity. Anyway.... I supplied the amps for the show. I brought a Peavey Triple X 1 x 12 combo that totally rips for the other guitar player and I used my Eleven Rack system through two 2 x 12 cabs. We didn't mic. The only thing going through the PA was vocals and keyboards. Our drummer hits extremely hard. It would be considered a LOUD GIG.

The lead singer made a comment that was interesting. He asked why we didn't use the 2 Marshall VS100 heads through the 2 small 2 x 12 cabs like we did at the last show. I told him that my Eleven rack system is far superior in every way and I wanted to try it out live (it sounded fantastic to me) and the other guitar player wanted to play through a high gain all tube amp. We wanted to leave the little VS100 heads at our rehearsal space. We actually have 3 of them... an 8100 and 2 VS100's. We use them for rehearsal only. Anyway... our lead singer and a few other band members and even a few musicians in the crowd mentioned that they thought the guitar sound at our last gig was better than this last gig. That's how good these stupid cheap VS100's are.

Comment

I always dug the first generation Valvestate heads. My FAVORITE Marshall cab comes from that series too - the 8412. It's a bit more compact than a 1960 and comes loaded with 35 watt Celestions. I don't gig "amps" anymore - I use a Line 6 Helix Rack rig and go direct - but I have considered grabbing another 8412 to pair up with my remaining Rivera S120 for those RARE occasions where a PA can't "handle" adding anything but vocals to the system - luckily those gigs are SUPER rare, lol....

Marshall got it RIGHT with the VS amps. I was always a fan of the VS8200 combo (I think that's what it was called) - the 2x12, 2 channel combo with chorus. SWEET tone and really portable for a 2x12. Got me jonesing, John!!!!
              GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Marshall got it RIGHT with the VS amps. I was always a fan of the VS8200 combo (I think that's what it was called) - the 2x12, 2 channel combo with chorus. SWEET tone and really portable for a 2x12. Got me jonesing, John!!!!
                I've been playing my not so great condition valvestate s80 8240 over my other amps lately

Comment

cool! it's funny how often we get wrapped up in "expensive" gear only to realize that there are GREAT pieces on the market that, for whatever reason, are under-valued. that's how I feel about valvstate amps.
                  GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    I've been playing my not so great condition valvestate s80 8240 over my other amps lately
                    I've had my 8240 since new around '92 or whenever it came out. It still sounds great! I don't play it all that much any more, but I should. The stereo chorus sounds nice, and the effects loop is great.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post

The Bi-Chorus model? I believe the head was 8200 and the combo was 8280. Awesome amps.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The Chorus ones were:
                        8200-head 100 watt
                        8280-80 watt combo
                        8240 40 watt combo

Comment

Working...
                        X