Mini Amp Craze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by markD View Post
    john, as a guy who has been playing as long as you have, do you find that your playing has matured at all over the years? changed in a way that sometimes you sit in with blues players, or jazz....or even country? i have been playing around 30 years, and, about 5 years ago i started playing more "vintage" type gear - stock strats, teles, guitars with P90s....i also noticed that, while my riveras COULD handle those styles, it seemed to make more sense to go after the "original" amps for those styles, i.e. a twin reverb, or some other fender?

to me, that is where (in some cases) the mini-amp makes sense. i went specifically shopping for a 6V6 loaded amp because i was after a sound similar to a fender champ, but i didn't want a fender champ. i wanted an amp that had more versatility (efx loop, gain, etc.) so i could go sit in with a variety of players/gigs and have my bases covered while still being able to sound like me (the rivera sound). the little egnater fit the bill quite nicely.

i, personally, "gig" 4-6 nights per week. if it's not shows with my band, i try to make the rounds to all the different open jams to keep my chops good and to learn learn things. the eganter has made showing up at those jams SO much easier. no more lugging an 80 pound rivera or fender combo amp, or a 65 pound rivera head and a 40 pound 1x12 cab....

i get your "fad" perspective, but some of these amps DO have validity.

i do, however, agree with you regarding "mini" versions of bigger amps. the mini-recto and mini-V3 seem redundant. if you want those amps, just get the full sized amp!!!
    I agree, the amps have some validity. I just don't like the way they are marketed. A mini toaster sized Rectifier just isn't cool to me.
    Regarding my playing style changing over the years.. absolutely.
    I used to be all about NPS (notes per second). I have always been a lead guitar player.
    I used to be more focused on quantity rather than quality of the notes.
    I used to want my guitar solo's to really stand out in a song.
    All of that has changed. I am a better guitar player now than I have ever been but I don't feel I need to prove anything to anybody. I write solo's to enhance the songs we are writing. Regarding cover tunes.. that hasn't changed. Its got to be note for note. Always has been always will be. Regarding amps... I am still on a tone quest. I am just not a snob about it anymore. For guitars.. I have never bonded with a guitar ever. To me.. they are 6 or 7 strings, wood and pickups. If the guitar is set up half way decent and has half way decent pickups in it I am all good. Scale doesn't matter, brand, color, shape.. they don't matter either. I do prefer strat body shapes though.
    Regarding amp tone... I like a tight sound with good bottom and lots of midrange. I don't need that much distortion. Only enough to play solo's with.

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisolson View Post
      My Friedman modded JCA20H would hold its own against most of the big boys...just sayin'...
      I hear you Chris. I have heard great things about that amp with the Friedman mods. I don't consider that a mini amp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Larz View Post
        How is it that they can engineer a dual rec to fit into a fucking lunchbox but they can't make a quality hands-free blowjob simulation device that I can use at work or while driving my car?
        Fleshlight?
        Hail yesterday

Comment

• Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
          Fleshlight?
          still have to use your hand.

trust me on this.
          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
            still have to use your hand.

trust me on this.
            Loneliness can be a cruel mistress...

Comment

• Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I hear you Chris. I have heard great things about that amp with the Friedman mods. I don't consider that a mini amp.
              The BFG modded JCA22H sounds like a mean little bigger too. The modders have really stepped up their game, and these lower cost platforms make it easier for us "mortals" to get into some pretty wicked amps without having to sell a kidney to make it happen.

Comment

• If its not about volume, not about wattage, then its about looks and how they're marketing it? Looks don't mean shit about shit imo. And they're marketing them as cheaper, more convenient amps. Which is exactly what they are. I don't see why you're so worked up about it. Its clearly not about their sound, which is the only thing it should be about imo.
                I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Loneliness can be a cruel mistress...
                  she is a bitch goddess. she gives, and then she takes.
                  "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

• Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                    she is a bitch goddess. she gives, and then she takes.

Before we got married my wife just gave and gave, now she just takes and takes...taking my will to live!
                    "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                    Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

The BFG modded JCA22H sounds like a mean little bigger too. The modders have really stepped up their game, and these lower cost platforms make it easier for us "mortals" to get into some pretty wicked amps without having to sell a kidney to make it happen.
                      oh yeah. This is good tone..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odpxy...eature=related
                      Its a complete catastrophe. But Im a professional, I can rise above it. LOL

Comment

• I like that !!!!

Comment

• They sound THAT GOOD. No lie.

Comment

• SUPER OLD THREAD OF MINE!!! I WANT TO UPDATE 8 YEARS LATER!!!
                            The 2 amp heads that I am gigging with through either my 1 x 12 Framus Cab or my 2 x 12 Marshall cab are..... lol....
                            Marshall DSL20HR Head
                            Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 20 Deluxe
                            Yep... both small lunchbox ...mini... amp heads. Both 20 watts switchable down to nothing.
                            The Tubemeister 20 Deluxe is the Triamp gain channel with the best switchable Red Box DI I have ever heard. Sometimes I don't even use a speaker cab. I just set the amp to silent and to direct into the board. Its designed for FRFR. So awesome.
                            The Marshall is a beast and I usually run it live through a 2 x 12 Marshall cab loaded with T75's and I run it at 10 watts mic'd. Sounds every bit as good as a DSL100H.

Comment

• If I didn't have my Artist 30 I'd get either the DSL20HR or a Mini Silver.

I can deal with the SS front end with pedals, or just pump in a tube preamp (Mesa Studio) direct into the FX return.

Comment

• I am finally moving on with my 1990 Mesa Boogie Quad preamp and did find the matching 295 poweramp in Denmark last year.

After having a Marshall 1960 Jcm 900 300 watt for 12 years I got my experience in how practical it is for my music.

So getting a 4*12 again depends and for now home use might be 1966, 2*12 or if I can locate the old Mesa 4*12 somewhere it might be ideal.

Still transporting a 1960 and having the space for volume allowed is where is at. And overkill for home use.

I did have a 2104 combo Marshall 1978 ex Thin Lizzy that my singer front man used. It was 50 watt and it was light weight, slim and greenbacks. Just awesome.

I don't follow trends and the Quad I have had since 2003 or something. Even then I dug the tones I heard.

I even gigged with my Marshall Major on 10 and in rehearsels. A power brake got the volume to band level. Still the Major did not win for being practical.

I do dig the small Mesa Boogie combos since the '90s like Iv, maverik, dc 5/10 and the mark 5 in small looks awesome.

Compared to the weight of the Major? Besides you can silently record as some has that or use a CabClone.

It depends on the use of it and practical too!
                                What Is Paying For Your Passion For Being A Guitarist?

Comment

Working...
                                X