S-L 1 question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S-L 1 question

I had posted a Q bout my new this year SL-1 a while back, didn't get any replies, which is understandable but thought I'd try again. The low E buzzes like crazy in the Floyd saddle. It's not fret buzz. I took the string off, made sure the saddle and all were tight, replaced the string, and it still buzzes like me after a 1/2 bottle of Makers Mark. Any tips?
    Last edited by JacksoNeal; 11-05-2009, 02:55 PM.
    Let go, let Guitar

Sounds like it might be a burr in the saddle.

Quick fix - buy a new Low E saddle and install it

Not Quick Fix - use a file to smooth out the saddle, sand, repeat, etc...
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Same as above. Buy another saddle. Luck!

Comment

Thanks guys, now that leads to another favor...could you post a link? I know Floyds have a gazillion different models/versions etc...it's an 08 Brnt Chry SL-1 with all orig equipment/chrome Floyd. I don't know which Floyd that is. Thanks again, I'm not a new player, just not a tech and have never needed to buy FR parts.
        Let go, let Guitar

Comment

try at FloydRose website. You can compare the model right there

Comment

Lazy...

http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Sad..._Saddle_2.html

Looks like chrome is sold out, but that's the part you want. #2 saddle in chrome. Now check all the guitar parts sites out there in internetland.
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Lazy...

http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Sad..._Saddle_2.html

Looks like chrome is sold out, but that's the part you want. #2 saddle in chrome. Now check all the guitar parts sites out there in internetland.
              Lazy.. very funny...no really thanks, I'm on track. I figured it was a mega can of worms with endless versions and all. Thanks again!!
              Let go, let Guitar

Comment

To verify it's the saddle, you cab swap it with the high E saddle cos they're the same size. This might place the buzz on the high E, or it might get rid of the buzz entirely.
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It might be the fine tuner. Give it a little turn and see if it goes away. I had that problem on a guitar once and traced it to the Floyd's fine tuner rattling on the locking pin under it.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Oddly enough it could be a bad string. I had this problem with a PRS the other day at work. Everything was great no buzzing any where except for the D string. It buzzed in every position. This was a stop tail wrap around bridge so it wasnt string height cuz nothin else buzzed. After doing the complete run through of bridge height, high fret, miss-aligned string, burr in the nut. etc..etc.. etc.... So i said screw it and got another single D string and the problem was solved. I used a set of DR tight fit 10's the strings PRS's come with from the factory and well it had a bad D string. So i dont get the hype on the DR's Sure theyre hand made strings but so are Dean Markelys.
                    So try changing the string in question and see if it fixes it.
                    Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                      Oddly enough it could be a bad string. I had this problem with a PRS the other day at work. Everything was great no buzzing any where except for the D string. It buzzed in every position. This was a stop tail wrap around bridge so it wasnt string height cuz nothin else buzzed. After doing the complete run through of bridge height, high fret, miss-aligned string, burr in the nut. etc..etc.. etc.... So i said screw it and got another single D string and the problem was solved. I used a set of DR tight fit 10's the strings PRS's come with from the factory and well it had a bad D string. So i dont get the hype on the DR's Sure theyre hand made strings but so are Dean Markelys.
                      So try changing the string in question and see if it fixes it.
                      Gil
                      Thanks, I big time appreciate the reply, but as stated in the orig post I tried a new string. Also tried the fine tuner. I ordered a new E Floyd saddle, hope that does it. It's not a Custom Shop or anything, but still you'd think a USA SL-1 inspection would catch such a major low E buzz. I just didn't feel like dealing w-warranty/repair shops blah blah. Hopefully the new saddle wil do it. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!
                      Let go, let Guitar

Comment

I got my new E saddle yesterday, installed it, and the buzz is history. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. While I was at it I went ahead and changed the strings, wound up jammin for a few hours. Damn the SL-1's are badass creations. My main axe was a Peavey Wolfgang for a long time and this Soloist just blows the Peavey away, to me anyway...Thanks again.
                        Let go, let Guitar

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Sounds like it might be a burr in the saddle.

Quick fix - buy a new Low E saddle and install it
                          Originally posted by JacksoNeal View Post
                          I got my new E saddle yesterday, installed it, and the buzz is history. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

GRANDTURKEY FTW!
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            GRANDTURKEY FTW!
                            I could do a search, but what does "FTW" mean anyway? Is it "For The Win?" Because everytime I see it, I think "Fuck The World."
                            Blank yo!

Comment

FTW = For The Win

Comment

Working...
                              X