Looking for pickup suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for pickup suggestions

Since I am restoring my Charvel 750XL and have it disassembled I was considering replacing the stock pickups in it. I'm pretty sure I wont put in active pickups but was considering the Seymour combo SH-4/TB-4, Seymour Invader, or a Bill Lawrence. I also have a JS30 that I love, even though I know its a lower end model, but I'm considering replacing those pickups as well.

Any suggestions would be killer, maybe some good pickups that I didn't think about? My music style is mostly 80's metal like Megadeth and Testament to some of the newer metal like All That Remains and Shadows Fall if that helps define the tone I'm looking for.
    Causing chaos one note at a time!

-CJ-

I have a 750Xl and i have a duncan custom custom in the bridge and a J50n in the neck. Nice balance to both pups and they sound good together. But the CC kills in this guitar. Perfect tone and balance.
    Gil

Comment

I have a Custom Custom (and a ton of other Duncans) and it's great, but for what you describe I would suggest a Duncan Distortion bridge/59 neck in the Charvel.
      The JS30 you could try the Custom Custom in, or the good old JB I don't think you'd go wrong with either of those in that guitar.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion bridge, PAF or PAF Pro neck.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

I have a 750XL, but it might be of little use to help you. Mine is mahogany with a fixed bridge. I bought it unloaded without pickups.

First I had the Distortion Mayhem set in there. Very fat, very powerful, but too much so. The bridge pickup in the fixed bridge 750XL is sort of nearer to the neck, so you get a fatter tone along with the fact that it's string thru. I had this setup for a while but was never super happy with it.

I did some research and figured what this guitar needed is the Full Shred set. I've had this set in there for about a month and have been very happy with it. Still has a ton of chunk with it.

For your guitar, I think you have the basswood body and floating trem, so the Distortion set might be ok. My set might be going into a long scale, floating trem bolt on. The Super Distortion and PAF Pro set might be good also because these guitars are powerful and you don't need such a high output set.

The Custom Custom might work, but I'm not so sure. My CC is in a long scale ESP Horizon (1988 vintage with Jackson headstock) and an OFR and ebony fretboard. Great match with that guitar.

Another option might be a JB to brighten up the short scale, but those can be hit-and-miss.

Also, I use the Super 5 way E switch and I'm very happy with it.
          Last edited by DonP; 10-31-2009, 12:18 AM.

Comment

If you want something pretty powerful Seymour Duncan has a fairly new pickup called the Alternative 8 its wound hot with an ALNICO 8 magnet. it's the hottest pickup I've ever played through that doesn't get muddy sounding, pinch harmonics are a bit hard to avoid at times, at least with my playing style. If you go that aggressive on the bridge, a jb or a screaming demon (yes it's a bridge pickup I know) in the neck to keep things somewhat balanced. I had the Invaders, the Duncan Designed version in my RR3 and when playing it at live levels it would sound very muddy. I removed them and put them in an old (fender) Squier Stagemaster and they sound excellent in it, far better than the EMG's I took out. Not sure of what the body wood is on it either, but it's heavier guitar than any of my jackson's. I replaced the Invades in my RR3 with EMG's and don't like them either so like you I'm on the hunt for a guitar sound, hoping to get maybe a JB and Jazz setup so it's not quite as hot a setup as my others. Good luck
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

If you're trying to get Megadave's sound, consider getting a pair of his signature pups? I've not tried them, but am optimistic, being as they're Duncans.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The Duncan custom, dimarzio super distortion, and the tone zone have become my favorite pickups lately.

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion, but there are plenty of even more powerful Dimarzios like the X2N, D-Activator or D-Sonic, if that's what you're going for. Plus, with Dimarzio's exchange policy, if you don't like it, you can return it for a different one within 30 days of purchase. Can't go wrong testing out pickups that way.

Comment

Found some dragonfire pickups on ebay I thinking of trying on that JS-30 just for the hell of it to see how they sound. Found some reviews on it and it's supposedly a highoutput pu. but for $35 includinhg shipping it's worth trying I guess.
                    Causing chaos one note at a time!

-CJ-

Comment

Found some dragonfire pickups on ebay I thinking of trying on that JS-30 just for the hell of it to see how they sound. Found some reviews on it and it's supposedly a highoutput pu. but for $35 includinhg shipping it's worth trying I guess
                      I have had several sets of those and they are great pickups.

Comment

For Megadeth tone you might want a JB or Custom 5. I can get good Megadeth tones with a Custom Custom.

Comment

Working...
                        X