Any thoughts on wall hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on wall hangers

I know that there is a debate about hanging guitars from the head some say don't some swear by it...I have had mine hanging for a litle ove 6 months. I do play them and take the down periodically to check for any changes. Thus far I have seen none, they hold tune well. But in the back of my mind I am still worried...I have heard everything from gravity stretching the neck, which by the way sounds pretty foolish to me, all the way up to neck warping. How do you folks feel about hanging them ?

http://www.rockhoundtampabay.com

Have hung mine same as yours for years now. No changes of any kind to report.
    I don't like having them on a stand or in a case. I love to marvel over the beauty of them

Comment

+1

Comment

I have hung some of mine for over 15 years now. no effects or changes. as my collection grew, I added more and the rest of them have been hanging for up to 10 years. All is fine. I love to look at them too.
        "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I love looking at 'em too... (Actually, I look at em more than playing em...) I used to hang em like yours are, but I got the same paranoia you speak of, so I went with these 'hang em high' hangers. (Got em on ebay.) Still hanging, but no 'alleged' neck stress... just like being on a stand, but on the wall...

Sorry for the crappy pic...
          Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Heres the one thing I think on traditional hangers, the neck is hanging straight, so how can it cause any "stress" on the neck is beyond me. I truly think its all a myth.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
              Heres the one thing I think on traditional hangers, the neck is hanging straight, so how can it cause any "stress" on the neck is beyond me. I truly think its all a myth.
              Yep.

I asked Ken Lawrence (luthier) about this when I had him make me a few guitars some years back. He said it was one of the best ways to display an instrument cause the neck is always perfectly straight. Leaving it on a stand would be considered "worse" since it's leaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                Yep.

I asked Ken Lawrence (luthier) about this when I had him make me a few guitars some years back. He said it was one of the best ways to display an instrument cause the neck is always perfectly straight. Leaving it on a stand would be considered "worse" since it's leaning.
                Hmm... That's an interesting perspective i hadn't considered... I may have to revert to my previous hangers.
                Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

I think I've said this before, but it bears saying again. That KV is devastating Charlz.
                  GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I have a wall hanger for my RR3, havent set it up yet because I love that axe too much and dont want to risk damaging it (especially here in Greece, where earthquakes are common) but hearing the good things some of you have said, especially those hanging them for 15 years, comforts me alot. I guess I'll get that wall hanger up soon.
                    AEKARA OMADARA!
                    Jackson RR3

Someday, an RR1

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                      I don't agree. If you consider that the stress on the neck which is caused by the strings is huge, in comparison to the stress which is caused by hanging, leave them on a stand, put them in a case or whatever, it just doesn't matter how you store them.

Comment

Oh man... mine have been hanging from the walls for eons and I have never had a single problem.... I think that's an old wive's tale like "dont ever have all the strings off at once or the neck will be ruined".
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I agree. all old wives tales. someone go email all these to the mythbusters and have them test them.

Comment

Might as well... they must be running out of things to test by now.
                            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                              I don't agree. If you consider that the stress on the neck which is caused by the strings is huge, in comparison to the stress which is caused by hanging, leave them on a stand, put them in a case or whatever, it just doesn't matter how you store them.
                              Well, that's the advice I was given by Ken Lawrence (who has been building guitars, basses, and other instruments for 20+ years) That was why I asked him specifically. I read all sorts of nonsense online so I figured it would be best to get advice directly from someone who has spent half their life building instruments.

I do agree that leaving it in a stand, hanging it, or storing it in the case really won't cause any undo harm to the neck of the instrument. His point in regards to a stand actually being worse was simply that having the guitar freely hanging is a better alternative than having it leaning in a stand. However, you'd have to leave it leaning in a stand untouched for years to really do any harm to a well built instrument anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X