Floyd/schaller/alternative...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd/schaller/alternative...

I set up my Model 6 to see how it feels before I strip to refinish (BTW - WOW, that guitar feels amazing to play). Plays great, set up excellent. But, now that i've played with a JT6, I really don't like the feel of it. Maybe just used to the other LFR's but just can't get used to it. So I'm gonna change it. I don't have $2-3-400 to put towards a bridge. Been looking around ebay for a decently priced OFR or Schaller (black) but they either go way too high in price or they look like they were washed in a toilet full of solvent, gravel, and/or turds with most of the finish gone. So I started looking for alternatives. Has anyone tried or heard any good things about the "Floyd Rose Special" or any of the other LFR's (guitarfetish, allparts, etc.). I know I'll probably need to replace the block (non-recessed) but I can have a brass block made to my specs free. Here's a link to the FR Special.
    http://www.gpdusa.com/Floyd_Rose_Spe...l_Black_3.html
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I've heard the Floyd Rose Specials are pretty good, but look around and bide your time so you can get the trem you want for a good price. The guys around here sell stuff all the time. I got a Schaller for less than $100 a few months back.
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Skip the special and go for one of the Floyds off of a ProMod Charvel. A step between the Special and the German Floyd. To me, feels just like a German one and is just as good.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Is that the FRT-1000 on the promod? I was reading about them. Not sold separate, just on production guitars (ESP's etc..). Seems like those may be hard to find too.

For "what I want".. I really don't need the best of the best. I don't use a tremolo really at all now and am going to block it to start with. Only reason I'm not modding to a fixed/hardtail is cause I may use it in the future and this is one guitar I see me keeping forever. And I like the feel of FR's because I'm used to them and nothing else feels right anymore. A good condition OFR/Schaller for <$100 would be great, I just don't see it happening any time soon. Been looking for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
          A good condition OFR/Schaller for <$100 would be great, I just don't see it happening any time soon. Been looking for a while.
          Ebay has 80's FR pulls from old Kramer's, etc. every week. Search "floyd rose original" in the musical instruments section. I picked up a near mint 80's FR with nut, string retainer and wood screw studs for $83 delivered about three months ago.

Comment

Gotoh floyd!!!

Comment

Y

You can get a Gotoh Floyd for ~$130. Excellent quality...smooth action...lotsa great detail. Easily equal to and OFR or Schaller, and better than the Specials. Don't think...buy it...

http://www.beyondeleven.com/ProductD...toh-floyd-rose

Originally posted by gmbob22 View Post
              Gotoh floyd!!!

Comment

If you're going to block it, just put any hunk of shit on on it and be done with it. If you're going to keep the guitar forever, when you finally feel the need to whammy, you'll have some cash saved up and be able t buy the right thing.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                  If you're going to block it, just put any hunk of shit on on it and be done with it.
                  +1. I put a Takuchi(?) in a mutt. I don't have the trem bar, will never find a trem bar for it, will never look for one, so just block it.

If you are blocking the trem, the JT6 should be fine.

Comment

You could try a Ping floyd. They're just as good as a floyd.

http://www.axcessories.com/products.asp?cat=132
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

I saw the gotoh after my last post. I may go with that one. But... It's $140 in black and and extra $35 if you need a different nut than the one that comes with it (1 5/8", 10" radius. For anyone looking for one, http://www.aampselectricguitarstore....loyd_rose.html has them with the right nut (I think) for a bit cheaper. Nut doesn't matter to me though, I'm not changing the Kahler style behind the nut string lock.

The reason I'm changing the JT6 is it doesn't feel right under my hand while playing. All my other guitars are JT580LP, JT590, Takeuchi, and a single locking floyd. All feel about the same, I'm used to them , and like how they feel under my hand while playing. That's the only reason. As far as blocking the one I put on, I really just want something decent quality as in knife edges not going to dull from just pressuse on posts, saddle screws not going to strip in baseplate, finish not going to wear off in 6 months, etc. If I don't find a cheaper good condition floyd/schaller before I need it, I'll go with the Gotoh.
                      Thanks fellas!!

Comment

Working...
                      X