dimebucker in my model 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dimebucker in my model 4

dimebucker arrived (55.00) from e bay , can i do it or should i take it to a pro?thanks fowza

It's a pretty straightforward thing to do, but you need to have the basics of soldering down. Here's a great soldering tutorial that Rob did:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...5&postcount=16

Comment

dimebucker in my model 4

thanks dg

Comment

dime in model 4

does this diagram look good , thanks

Comment

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support..._1vol_1tone_5w

Comment

Default dime in model 4

cept i got three toggles instead of 5 way , im not shure

Comment

I read the DIY post on soldering and have a few things to add.

I have the upgraded version of the Weller soldering station (cost $120) described in the other post. The one I have is ESD Safe (electro-static discharge safe). An ESD Safe soldering station could be a good investment if your guitar has electronic circuit boards w/chips, etc. You will not be able to use the tip designed for use with small electronic components. I’m pretty sure I have the largest tip for the Weller I bought and it works well. It only takes a few seconds to melt the solder on a wire or potentiometer. The smaller tip takes a few minutes to do the same job so make sure you have the correct tip size for your application.

De-soldering braid works well on small components but for larger ones—like the back of a pot—I prefer a de-soldering pump. The one I have cost around $6.00 and you can buy extra replacement tips for it. You can remove a lot of solder quickly while applying very little heat to the component which is almost always a good thing. It doesn’t take much to damage a pot or the insulation on the windings of a pup or electric motor, etc.--so be careful. Solder on a pot or wire can be re-used and does not have to be removed and replaced with new solder unless there are impurities in it. This brings me to the next point. Keep the tip of the iron clean. It should be a silver color from the solder. Any crud or slag should be wiped off with a wet paper towel.

Buy solder for electronics. There are different types of solder. Make sure you have the correct solder for the application.

It’s a good idea to “pre-tin” components before joining them. For bare wires dip the ends in flux. Heat the wire end and add solder by letting it melt as it touches the wire. Do not melt the solder by touching it to the tip of the iron and then the wire. This could cause a “cold solder” joint that will not have the best conductive properties. To solder the wire to a pot add a little flux to a small area on the pot. Heat this part of the back of the pot and touch the solder to the heated pot to melt the solder. If the solder on the pot is cool heat the solder until it melts—it only takes a few seconds—then plunge the pre-tinned wire end into the solder. Soldering is easy and if you use this method the joints will look great too.
              Last edited by Trussrod; 09-26-2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

dimebucker in my model 4

damit jim, im just a player ,not a tech

Comment

thank 4 advice t-rod

Comment

swapping the humbucker in my model 4 was the easiest pickup swap I've ever done ... there's loads of space, waving the soldering iron around was easy, the hardest part was remembering the two connections I had to solder to ( told you it was easy! )

go for it, you'll never look back

I didn't even sacrifice a set of strings, just popped the trem springs off .. let the trem block lie on loose strings for the 5 minutes it took to swap and solder the pups .. and bingo

Comment

Keep looking on that drop down on seymours site there should be a 3 way toggle switch diagram showing you how to wire that thing up correctly. you may have to print out 2 different sheets and look at them to get the whole picture of how to wire it. and dont knock my capitals and spelling im drunk off my ass and have to be at work at 5am tomorrow so blah.. lol

Comment

This site has a lot of wiring diagrams for different pup setups. Look it up here:

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/c=5...ckup_diagrams/

Comment

Working...
                        X