Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charvel/jackson custom strat

Hey,
    does anybody know,what´s the worth of a charvel/jackson ontario usa made guitar?
    ive got one in transparent blue,with golden hardware and a floyd rose,2 jackson single coils and i believe a seymor duncan humbucker,as long as i know,there were only 75 built of these at the beginning of the 90´s,the follower of the san dimas,but i can´t find a prize anywhere and i want to sell mine,which was my fathers before..
    would be nice if someone writes!

This sounds like you may be referring to one of the stratheads made in '91 for the European market. Does the guitar look like this, but in blue?

If so, I believe I saw one sell recently for ~$1500. They don't tend to command as much as San Dimas stratheads.
    Last edited by dg; 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM.

Comment

what is custom about it if they were made in a batch of 75?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
        what is custom about it if they were made in a batch of 75?
        The put in the the extra "ugly."

blech...
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

If you notice the hs and note the build time, the custom is the fact that these were s-heads. They were "custom" made for the european market back in the 90s with a headstock that could not be sold in the US for copywrite/legal reasons (which obviously have been worked out now that fender owns charvel/jackson). The made trans red, trans blue and I beleive a trans yellow/gold color and appear from time to time for sale.

They are not a true reissue for alot of reasons, but they are cool guitars. They were going in the $1500 range before fender flodded the market with s-heads.

Now, I would say less, but that it just my opinion. I would not pay more then $1K (if I were to even buy one) as the specs are not to my liking. If someone was really into the specs, they would probably pay more just like anything else.

The reason really comes down to the market. At the moment, orginal charvels (82-86) guitars have come down in price (unless you have a collector guitar, like an original EVH B&Y or one of the other classic graphics for example). So, for only slightly more money, you can get a real one, thus I beleive that the reissue value is going to get killed. Not to mention all the new production model guitars which can be had for under $1K.

Just my $0.02.
          "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

It looks like they had 75 logos left over that were supposed to go on Charvel's delivery trucks. Somehow they fit them on the headstocks?

Comment

Originally posted by RR05xx View Post
              If you notice the hs and note the build time, the custom is the fact that these were s-heads. They were "custom" made for the european market back in the 90s with a headstock that could not be sold in the US for copywrite/legal reasons (which obviously have been worked out now that fender owns charvel/jackson).
              by that reasoning, it could be argued that the Euro and Asian market strathead CXs are "customs" too. There's one hanging in a pawnshop near for a couple of hundred. I should buy it and clean up.

I don't think a batch run of 75 anything constitutes custom, just because they were made in a specification that is not available in the parent market. You might argue that it is rare, in that I don't imagine too many are seen the States. But a production run of 75 strathead Charvels made in the 90s in a spec that isn't allowed for sale in the US, is still a production run.

No doubt they are still cool guitars, but the ol' "custom" is bandied about every day on ebay in an effort to drive prices up and convey an air of exclusivity. What is custom about a guitar that is built just like and at the same time as its 74 brothers and sisters? Now if the bridge pickup had been swapped by the seller, that would be TRULY custom
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Ur, OK. It should go without saying, but this was a USA made guitar and to some of us, that actually means something. Therefore, the CX analogy is not valid.

However, if you read the balance of my post, you will see that we generally agree. These guitars are cool, but they are not all that.
                "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  No doubt they are still cool guitars, but the ol' "custom" is bandied about every day on ebay in an effort to drive prices up and convey an air of exclusivity.
                  Jeez, you got that right. I keep bitching about people selling Jacksons as "custom" because they have a graphic finish (one picked out of "the book", not a REAL custom graphic!)

But it occurs to me that Fender/Jackson/Charvel and a good portion of their dealers are guilty of this as well; there are a lot of "plain Jane" boring guitars coming out of the Charvel and Jackson Custom Shops. I realize that some people don't want binding, or a contoured heel, or a recessed tremolo, but I also realize that when you spec a "custom shop" guitar, this stuff costs extra, so I think that's the main reason these "custom shop" guitars have NO features.

To me, "custom" has just become a bullshit marketing term that doesn't mean "something really different and personalized" anymore, it means whatever cheap and boring features some guy decided to check off on an order form that wouldn't be offensive or expensive. Yeah, let's get three white Strats, one with one HB and chrome hardware, one with 2H and chrome hardware, and one with 2H and gold hardware. That's not custom, that's picking shit out of a parts bin. Big deal.

Comment

Working...
                  X