DK1 Versus DK2 Body Woods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK1 Versus DK2 Body Woods

So what's the difference between the wood used to make the body of the USA DK1 versus the wood used to make the body of a Japanese made DK2? The body on my DK guitar is really heavy, so I'm wondering what it is.

TIA

Which DK do you have?

Comment

do u have a dk 1 or a dk2 i thought they were both alder

the dk1 would be higher grade but i doubt it does much difference in tone

Comment

I have a DK2 according to info on the neck pocket. The body is so heavy I suspect it is not alder, but maybe there are different grades of alder--some more dense than others. Also, I thought alder was usually paint grade, but the back and sides of this body are clear coated and have a nice grain. I have a Washburn Dimebolt 333--which is definitely alder--and sounds and feels the way I have come to expect from alder. My DK2 sounds great, but nothing like my 333.

Comment

i thought dime only used mahogony body guitars

Comment

Originally posted by RR666 View Post
            i thought dime only used mahogony body guitars
            Dime's preferred Washburn sig was the D3. The D3 had a natural mahogany body and one of several different graphics painted on the top as well as a real floyd. List was about $2,500 US on the D3 IIRC.

The 333 was another neck-through Dime sig model with a knock-off floyd and alder body. MSRP was about $1,200 US.

Comment

Working...
            X