Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best way to lower the action on an acoustic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best way to lower the action on an acoustic?

Obviously there are no adjustment screws... should I file deeper notches in the bridge?

Thanks.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Carefully shave the bottom of the saddle to the height you need. BUT FIRST..... Make sure your neck relief is correct and the nut is properly cut.
    Use a medium/fine file or a sanding block with 180 Grit on a good, flat surface to shave the bottom of the saddle. Keep checking and double checking as you go as to not remove too much material.
    Make sure the bottom stays nice and flat as you work so it wont teeter or wobble in the bridge.
    You might also find there are shims in the bridge now that, once removed, will allow you to lower the action as well.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
      Carefully shave the bottom of the saddle to the height you need. BUT FIRST..... Make sure your neck relief is correct and the nut is properly cut.
      Use a medium/fine file or a sanding block with 180 Grit on a good, flat surface to shave the bottom of the saddle. Keep checking and double checking as you go as to not remove too much material.
      Make sure the bottom stays nice and flat as you work so it wont teeter or wobble in the bridge.
      You might also find there are shims in the bridge now that, once removed, will allow you to lower the action as well.
      What if the pickup wire is attached to the bottom of the saddle like on an Ovation?
      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
        What if the pickup wire is attached to the bottom of the saddle like on an Ovation?
        Then you're only choice is to smash the fukker and plug in a proper electric guitar.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Alvin_Wilson View Post
          Most ovations are a Piezo that sits under the saddle. There are some that the saddle is truly the pickup itself.
          If all else fails use Turks idea.

Comment

Ok... I shaved the saddle down so that the action is what I want. It plays great. However, now the G, B and E strings pickup quite a bit louder than the E, A and D strings. The saddle looks flat.... I must be missing something. I tapped on the pickup all over and it is a uniform volume.... I am guessing when the saddle sits in the pickup, it is not making enough of a contact on the E, A and D side. I seriously don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?
            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Surely someone must have an idea or two..... (shameless bump)

Comment

Email Ovation.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Bloody hell. I think it is just a matter of having all points of the saddle make consistent contact. I sanded it a bit more and tried again and now I only have the middle two with lower output. 2/3 is better than 1/2... so I am making progress.

I have come to the conclusion that what I am doing is the only way to take care of the problem. When I am done, I will have a sweet action on it. Don't know why it had such obscenely high action in the first place...

Comment

I finally got it working properly. The action is mighty sweet. After about 5 or so hours of trial and error. I have learned that acoustic guitar work is a royal pain in the rear end.

Comment

Its all about having the bottom of the saddle perfectly flat. Now you see why acoustic setups usually cost more. I charge $15.00 more for acoustic electrics just for that reason alone.
                      I also have a jig for my stand alone upright belt sander that helps tremendously as well.

Comment

Lol. There is no question there is talent needed to do such adjustments. I didn't have a jig... just my shakey hands and some 150 grit, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                          Then you're only choice is to smash the fukker and plug in a proper electric guitar.
                          That cracked me up, man.

Comment

Did ya bother to look under the piezo strip to see if there was a shim in the bridge before you sanded it down? 9 out of 10 times there is several shims under the piezo just for this very reason. To make it more playable to each persons liking. Also ovations have a tendency for the bridge to pull up from the tension of the strings. Since it's an Ovation Celebrity model. I would say this is probably the issue. If the bridge isnt pullin up it'self than the top is starting to buckle. Raising your action. First would've been to make sure the bridge isnt pullin up. Then check to see if there is at least one shim under the saddle. Then the last resort would've been to sand down the saddle itself. Hopefully you can get all the strings to be the same volume again.
                            Gil

Comment

Yes. There were no shims. I was hoping there would be and assumed that since the action was so high there was one. But nope.

Comment

Working...
                              X