Cant use truss rod wrench due to paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant use truss rod wrench due to paint

Has this happened to any of you. I have a USA K2 and wanted to make a truss rod adjustment. However when I removed the trussrod plate, I could not fit the truss rod wrench in the slot due to it not being wide enough. It seems there was excess paint and clearcoat in the slot where you tighten the rod...Should I try to file it down...It is a neck-through....anyone else get this on a USA Jackson ??? Any help would be appreciated COuld they have sent me the wrong wrench??? What size wrench do I need for a KV2??

Brian
    Last edited by BMoore77; 08-16-2009, 06:09 PM.

Post some pics. That would be a big help.

Comment

Sorry dont have the capability....I just need the wrench or allen key size for a usa KV2

Comment

Use a "T" allen wrench set. It will give you more clearance. Once the nut is loose, a few turns, the rod will be free to move up and down in the neck channel. Go slowly, with no string tension on the neck when you do it. Once the nut is removed you can inspect the diameter of the hole and the paint around it. If the paint is interfering with the nut O.D., you can use a piece of sandpaper (400 Grit) stuck to a small socket wrench (long socket, 1/4" drive size), or similar object with double stick tape. The socket should be smaller than the hole. An alternative would be a piece of brass tubing obtained from a hardware store. You can work the socket in and around the hole to get a consistant clearance. You can use masking tape on the headstock to protect it form accidental moves with the sandpaper. They got the nut in there, so the interference should be minimal. When you put the rod nut back on smear some petroleum jelly from a toothpick on the threads inside the nut. A tiny bit helps in the long run.

If your not comfortable doing this, I'd take it to a good luthier.

Edit: Whoops, you said KV2. I've got Fender 70's Bullet nuts on the brain. (They use a ALLEN HEX) I have done several lately. I use Stew mac truss rod wrenches. They have a thin wall on the socket. You could use a piece of brass tubing (with the tape and sandpaper). Get a piece that will fit inside the hole with room for the tape and sandpaper. You can twirl it around and move it in and out to remove the finish to get the clearance for the truss rod nut.
        Last edited by Bengal65; 08-16-2009, 07:27 PM.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Thanks for the help...What size wrench is it though ????

Comment

Originally posted by BMoore77 View Post
            Thanks for the help...What size wrench is it though ????
            Whoops again. Been working on too many Gibson's lately, plus I have been on vacation (Rare).
            5mm Allen hex wrench. I use the "T" handles with ball ends for added clearance.

Also, remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.
            Last edited by Bengal65; 08-16-2009, 09:36 PM.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

If you have excess paint or clearcoat just take an exacto knife and cut the paint and chip it out carefully layer by layer until you have clearence.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                If you have excess paint or clearcoat just take an exacto knife and cut the paint and chip it out carefully layer by layer until you have clearence.
                Another good suggestion. Use the small real pointy blade.

Comment

When I took my 2000 SL2H in for a setup a few years back the tech. told me of the same problem! He did as described above. 1st used an exacto to remove excess paint etc. 2nd removed acorn nut that pipe style wrench fits on.(nut pops off with a little force) exposing allen slot underneath. 3rd removed trus rod ,finished removing more clearcoat and paint with dremel. 4th reassemble and adjust.
                  Now I adjust with an allen wrench instead of the stock pipe style, works much better actually and clearance is never a problem since an allen wrench fits in the inside as opposed to over the outside of the nut and having to have space clearance from the wall of the guitar.

Comment

Depends on the truss rod nut - some use allen wrenches, some use "Popeye Pipe" wrenches. I can't see an Allen/hex wrench being affected by paint.

"Pipe" wrench:
                    http://www.allparts.com/store/tools-...00,Product.asp

These go over the nut, the outside of which is hex-shaped.

Allen/hex wrench:
                    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro..._Hex_Keys.html

These go into the nut, which is round on the outside with a recessed hex-shape in the center.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                    X