How good is the jackson floyd rose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good is the jackson floyd rose?

I have a PS4 which has the J-500 trem ( I think!). When using the floyd for diving, it returns to pitch OK, but there is a slight tuning difference between the 5th and 6th string (you can't hear it on the open strings when played , only when the distorted harmonics at 5th and 7th are compared, and it is only tiny little waver).

Is this within tolerance? I don't know if I am being to anal about this! Someone tell me to stop worrying, shut up and play my guitar!.

Also does anyone know where you can get new knife egdes and posts? - the knife edges look like they slot in.

Thanks for your help (as usual).

Regards

Carl

Hey Carl-

It's a JT-500 (for, simply enough, Jackson Tremolo I believe ) Henrik has done work here and has some excellent info:

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/floyd-tremolo-tips.htm

As far as I know there are no knife edge replacements available that would be economical- I thought I read somewhere that someone actually sharpened theirs. Tough angle & tough to tell if you've taken off too much meat I'd think but probably a fun project.

JT-500 has the same dimensions as the JT-590, which is the Schaller Floyd. If you're looking to replace it, the Schaller Floyds are a bit expensive new but do show up from time to time on Ebay for less.

I have no experience with the 500, but at least there's some info for you to get started. As far as I'm concerned, if the fooker ain't broke.......
    Last edited by Vass; 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM.

Comment

If you are going to whammy a lot, you might want to get a different trem. The JT500 is regarded the bottom of the barrel me thinks....

There are many other Jackson Trems that are higher regarded, the JT590 being the best Jackson trem.

Comment

Working...
      X