Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get low action on my slsmg without excessive buzz? Is a new nut the answer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get low action on my slsmg without excessive buzz? Is a new nut the answer?

I have an slsmg strung with dr electric heavy strings tuned to d standard (gauged 12-15-24-32-42-52) and cannot for the life of me get a low action (of even a moderate action ) without excessive fret buzz. Its driving me mad. I have setup many of my own guitars and basses before and have never had a problem. Its not only buzzing of frets 1-5 either it buzzes on every fret up to 16-18 on the bottom three strings? Can anyone tell me what I should do to trouble shoot what the buzz is a product of. I'm quite sure the action is correct and the neck has just the right amount of relief. Could this be from the nut or the bridge saddles?

In any event I was planning on replacing the nut anyways to bone or tusq. Can anyone reccomed a good place to get a custom made nut for heavy gauge strings for this model of jackson?

As far as I know replacing the nut can only fix open string buzz. In cases like yours people usually do fret level or shimming the neck.

Comment

Cant shim the neck on a neck thru sp that wont work. could be the strings are just to slack and are rattling on the frets. Or you need a fret level. Did it buzz at all with a lighter gauge string on it? If not try tuning the guitar up a half step and see if it goes away. It could just be a tension thing.
      Gil

Comment

You mean it buzzes at the 16-18 on the treble strings or the bass strings?

Thicker strings do not tolerate low action very well, and if I'm not mistaken, almost all Jacksons are designed and built to perform best with 9s - from fret size (including height) to the bridge and nut. I think the PC1 is the only one that comes with 10s on it?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I would tighten truss rod little bit more and see what happens to the buzz.

Comment

Working...
          X