Is this Luthier Trustworthy? Referred from Sam Ash third party

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Luthier Trustworthy? Referred from Sam Ash third party

.. I meant to ask is it wise to trust this luthier? Because theres no way you would know this guy.

Ok I went to Sam Ash to ask about a guitar setup and my fret buzz. He said he could do a setup, but (Travis) said he had no way to work on the fret buzz since he didn't have the machines to file them down but said he has a close friend who works from home. He then said his friend loves to talk and work on guitars as his ultimate passion and would do a phenomenal job.

Is it ok to trust a guy working from home with no website, ad or anything?
    His turn around is quick only 2 days to do both jobs (setup and fret dress) for $120.00.

The alternative is trustworthy well advertised but very busy 13th street guitars with about 7-10 day turnaround for about $110.00 USD.
    Last edited by Danzo; 08-03-2009, 04:03 PM.
    Equipment
    -Jackson Kelly Std. Professional J003908 (blood red) w/TB-5
    -Marshall MG15 CDR hosted by
    -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

What area are you in?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I'm in Orange County. I'm just asking if in general this is a normal thing or has too much risk involved.
      Last edited by Danzo; 08-03-2009, 04:31 PM.
      Equipment
      -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a guy working out of his house, if he knows what he's doing.

I'd take it to the shop, though. Because you have no idea if the guy knows what he's doing, or he's just really enthusiastic about screwing up frets.

Comment

Yeah if the guy has tools and knowledge its ok to work out of your house. But the thing is , theres no information of this guy or record of his services. A lot of people who work out of their house have some website set up to show off their work or a myspace or something.
          Maybe I fear that i'm just "giving" my guitar away to a stranger and the next time I come to pick it up he won't answer the door? Who knows since its not a registered business.

Also, I do remember a time 15 years ago when one of my ex friends tried to rip me off and wanted 250.00 for a setup from the Guitar Doctor. The guitar doctor i found out charges 120, which is a lot for a simple setup and this is more than double that.
          Equipment
          -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Originally posted by Danzo View Post
            .. I meant to ask is it wise to trust this luthier? Because theres no way you would know this guy.

Ok I went to Sam Ash to ask about a guitar setup and my fret buzz. He said he could do a setup, but (Travis) said he had no way to work on the fret buzz since he didn't have the machines to file them down but said he has a close friend who works from home. He then said his friend loves to talk and work on guitars as his ultimate passion and would do a phenomenal job.

Is it ok to trust a guy working from home with no website, ad or anything?
            His turn around is quick only 2 days to do both jobs (setup and fret dress) for $120.00.

The alternative is trustworthy well advertised but very busy 13th street guitars with about 7-10 day turnaround for about $110.00 USD.
            Does it actually need fret work or is the buzz just from not being set up properly? Maybe one in ten guitars I set up here at the shop actually need fret work to make them play right.
            I'd ask around to find others that have used his services and make sure you have a signed estimate for the work and a receipt that says he has custody of your guitar. I'd also make sure your/ his insurance covers your property while its in his possession.

I offer a copy of the work estimate to all my customers and have them sign for the work that they are asking to be done. If it's not specifically stated on the estimate I call the customer before proceeding with any additional work that I find that needs done.
            Also see if he offers a warranty and needed adjustments in a specific period of time in case corrections are needed. I offer a 90 day warranty in case the truss rod needs adjusting or once the strings break in it needs tweaked to suit the customer.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
              Does it actually need fret work or is the buzz just from not being set up properly? Maybe one in ten guitars I set up here at the shop actually need fret work to make them play right.
              I'd ask around to find others that have used his services and make sure you have a signed estimate for the work and a receipt that says he has custody of your guitar. I'd also make sure your/ his insurance covers your property while its in his possession.

I offer a copy of the work estimate to all my customers and have them sign for the work that they are asking to be done. If it's not specifically stated on the estimate I call the customer before proceeding with any additional work that I find that needs done.
              Also see if he offers a warranty and needed adjustments in a specific period of time in case corrections are needed. I offer a 90 day warranty in case the truss rod needs adjusting or once the strings break in it needs tweaked to suit the customer.
              See this is WHY i come here. For answers like this I was looking for this kind of answer but i had only a vague abstract idea of what is needed to be lawful.
              Since I don't have anything but this guys phone no. theres no way I can ask around if people are satisfied with his service. I wonder if its fair to call him up and ask if he has a website or something?
              How would I "WORD IT" smoothly when I call him up and get some good clean answers regarding warranties, satisfaction, etc?

Oh and my action is like super high 5 mm or something like that but it still buzzes. I did find a dent on the 13th fret. The Sam Ash luthier told me that a simple setup would not be enough to cover the fret buzz problem but says they are too high or dented.

The goal is to have my action set low with no buzz. Whats a good action height @12th fret for metal playing?
              Equipment
              -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Less than 5 mm is optimal for anything but slide guitar, which is rarely used in metal to my knowledge. :ROTF:

1.6 - 2 mm is good on the high E side. Closer to 1.6 mm if it's a compound-radius neck like a Jackson or Charvel, closer to 2 mm for a Strat, and somewhere in between for a Gibson. You'll have to go a little higher on the bass side.

Comment

See this is WHY i come here. For answers like this I was looking for this kind of answer but i had only a vague abstract idea of what is needed to be lawful.
                  Since I don't have anything but this guys phone no. theres no way I can ask around if people are satisfied with his service. I wonder if its fair to call him up and ask if he has a website or something?
                  How would I "WORD IT" smoothly when I call him up and get some good clean answers regarding warranties, satisfaction, etc?

Oh and my action is like super high 5 mm or something like that but it still buzzes. I did find a dent on the 13th fret. The Sam Ash luthier told me that a simple setup would not be enough to cover the fret buzz problem but says they are too high or dented.

The goal is to have my action set low with no buzz. Whats a good action height @12th fret for metal playing?
                  I get a lot of referals from the local Guitar Center. I'm a licensed business with a storefront and all that jazz. I get calls from new customers that are in the same boat as you. They always ask if I'm familiar with the guitar they have and how long have I been in business along with turn around time. Some ask for references and if I would mind if they come by just to talk about their guitar issues. I don't mind at all. It gives me a chance to see what the customer needs and what the guitar actually needs. I never give a specific quote over the phone but I will give them a ballpark cost of repairs similar to theirs. Once I have the guitar in my hands and time to go over it I will give a firm estimate.
                  If your frets are dented or worn it might be a simple level, dress,crown and polish. If a couple are dented/grooved too far it could be a partial re-fret,level, crown and polish.
                  Find out if you need to supply any parts and strings or if its included in his price. Every repair is different in some form or another.
                  You can never ask too many questions of the guy working on your gear !!!!

Comment

I get a lot of referals from the local Guitar Center. I'm a licensed business with a storefront and all that jazz. I get calls from new customers that are in the same boat as you. They always ask if I'm familiar with the guitar they have and how long have I been in business along with turn around time. Some ask for references and if I would mind if they come by just to talk about their guitar issues. I don't mind at all. It gives me a chance to see what the customer needs and what the guitar actually needs. I never give a specific quote over the phone but I will give them a ballpark cost of repairs similar to theirs. Once I have the guitar in my hands and time to go over it I will give a firm estimate.
                    If your frets are dented or worn it might be a simple level, dress,crown and polish. If a couple are dented/grooved too far it could be a partial re-fret,level, crown and polish.
                    Find out if you need to supply any parts and strings or if its included in his price. Every repair is different in some form or another.
                    You can never ask too many questions of the guy working on your gear !!!!
                    Ok I just got off the phone with him. He has a site but just a myspace that shows off some of his custom guitar work.

http://www.myspace.com/forraicustomguitars

He charges a heft 75.00 usd to install a single humbucker. (3x the cost as most places)
                    -He offers an invoice
                    --he then said yeah u know where I live i cant run off with your guitar or anything. ( I didnt even imply that lol) I just asked if he any guarantees or invoice. All he could offer was an invoice.

Its positive that 13th street guitar repair will do the job good since theres plenty of referals and its well known establishment in my area. Only disadvantage is that it will be 5 more days, but less expensive.
                    25 bucks for a pickup change, 110 for the entire guitar fret buzz and setup.
                    Equipment
                    -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

Ok I just got off the phone with him. He has a site but just a myspace that shows off some of his custom guitar work.

http://www.myspace.com/forraicustomguitars

He charges a heft 75.00 usd to install a single humbucker. (3x the cost as most places)
                      -He offers an invoice
                      --he then said yeah u know where I live i cant run off with your guitar or anything. ( I didnt even imply that lol) I just asked if he any guarantees or invoice. All he could offer was an invoice.

Its positive that 13th street guitar repair will do the job good since theres plenty of referals and its well known establishment in my area. Only disadvantage is that it will be 5 more days, but less expensive.
                      25 bucks for a pickup change, 110 for the entire guitar fret buzz and setup.
                      $75.00 is outrageous for a pickup change. I charge $25.00 for the first and $15.00 for each one after. Actives I charge a flat $50.00 since everything has to be changed. If he isn't willing to guarantee or warranty his work I wouldn't even bother. It's worth the extra 5 days to know what your quality of work will be.

Comment

$75.00 is outrageous for a pickup change. I charge $25.00 for the first and $15.00 for each one after. Actives I charge a flat $50.00 since everything has to be changed. If he isn't willing to guarantee or warranty his work I wouldn't even bother. It's worth the extra 5 days to know what your quality of work will be.
                        Thanks guys, you helped me make an informed decision.

I came to 13th street guitars and had a nice chat with the guy. It turns out he's very attentive, sounds passionate and guarantee's his work and said he graduated from musicians institute as the no.1 rank luthier. He said he's gotten faster with additional help from people and the turn around is only 2 days instead of 7-10 days.

Since the place has a reputation to keep I don't feel anxiety leaving my guitar there. I noticed some other customers who came in before me and were leaving happy, which is good!

Anyways, when all is done I'll give these guys a lil review of their work here.

My invoice says 110.00 for Fret level dress, setup , electronic cleaning and pickup height adjustment.

SITE: http://www.13thstreetguitars.com/content/view/30/41/

If all ends well I'll come back and have him install a duncan.
                        Equipment
                        -VOX Tonelab ST (tube)

Comment

I think you made a good choice. And just to throw it out there, Full setup and fret level/dress/polish for $110 seems to me a SMOKIN' price.. Never had any fret work done but I thought even a level/dress/polish would be way more than $50. Not that it's really hard work, just seems it could be time consuming.
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Last time I got a level/dress/setup I paid $110... And from the quality of the guy's work I would not hesitate to spend it again for a guitar I really like (I do the "meh" ones myself for "practice" and hope I'll be as good as this guy someday.)

So, I don't think that's at all unreasonable for outstanding work.

Comment

Cool. I never looked into it, just figured with the price of everything else these days it'd be ridiculous and didn't waste my time. Good to know..
                              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                              X