Stuck volume knob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck volume knob

The volume pot on my Jackson Professional is loose. When I turn the volume knob the pot will continue to move once I've hit the limit of the volume. But I've had a hell of a time trying to get the volume knob off to tighten up the pot or even replace it. Tried wrapping the knob up with an old shirt but still can't get the knob off. Any ideas?

Did you loosen the set screw? It will take either an allen wrench or tiny screwdriver.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Did you loosen the set screw? It will take either an allen wrench or tiny screwdriver.
      +1 check the set screw on the knob, then if it's tight, remove it and snug the nut on the pot. Make sure to hold the pot while you turn the nut, as to not cause any solder joint breakage. Then, replace the knob and tighten the set screw.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

The set screw was removed. Should I put an Allen wrench in where the screw was and try to wiggle the knob off?

Comment

Hmmm. If the screw is already out, then I have no clue why the hell it won't come off. :think:
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Because the knob is too small for the shaft and was jammed onto it. Or some nimrod lost the set screw and jammed a toothpick into the hole and spread the two halves of the split shaft apart.

Or said nimrod lost the screw and poured superglue in the hole, then broke the pot, then sold you the guitar.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Because the knob is too small for the shaft and was jammed onto it. Or some nimrod lost the set screw and jammed a toothpick into the hole and spread the two halves of the split shaft apart.

Or said nimrod lost the screw and poured superglue in the hole, then broke the pot, then sold you the guitar.
              Well, I think we've found the culprit.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I would say use a knob puller but its liable to do more damage if its glued to the shaft. Try using a micro butane torch to heat the knob. It will normally break any glue loose and allow the knob to be removed. Just be careful not to cook the finish on your guitar.
                A paint can opener and a piece of felt can be used to gently pry the knob once its heated to help break the glue joint.

Comment

If it is in fact glued on...

Comment

Finally!

Sprayed some WD40 on the knob and stuck a small screwdriver in the screw hole. After a few wiggles the knob came loose, finally! The screwdriver however was bent like crazy.

Comment

Working...
                    X