Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't get setup right? Help

Hi,
    I have a RR24, the floyd is shot. I didn't really use it that much but as soon as you use the whammy it goes out of tune. So now I just have it all locked up without the bar on it. I can tell the metal in the floyd is pretty crap and I will probably upgrade to a german floyd etc...

But the setup is puzzling me. I've go the floyd posts screwed quite low, as that the plate on the floyd is lower than the body if that makes sense. As in the plate that has the FloyD stamp on it is lower than the cavity. And the aciton still isnt that low. I remember a while ago the floyd was a lot higher but still had a similar action to what it has now.

What could be going wrong, do I need to adjust the truss rod, new string gauge, new floyd?

This guitar wasnt cheap and Im considering taking it to a shop for a complete setup but i'm poor and dont trust my local guitar shops.

Thanks!
    Marshall JCM800 2203
    G12K-100w Cabinet
    Jackson RR24

From what you describe, I think you need a truss rod adjustment. You probably have to much relief (forward bow) in the neck and need to tighten the rod. If you fret your E string at the first and the 17th fret (or whatever fret is nearest where the neck meets the body), do you see a sizable gap under the string at the midpoint? If so, tighten the truss rod in 1/8 turn increments until you get the relief where you want it. I usually shoot for about .010" of relief, or about the diameter of a high E string. If you aren't comfortable doing any of this, take it in and any good tech should be able to sort it right out.

Comment

I'm thinking the knife edges are not in the pivot notches, but rather below them on the solid part of the post. That would explaing the tuning going out.

As well, when you changed strings recently (which is why the trem is not seated properly), you did stretch tune them before locking them down?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yeh i stretch the crap out of my strings until im ready to blame the bridge haha.

Ill check its sitting the posts correctly and double check the truss rod.

cheers
        Marshall JCM800 2203
        G12K-100w Cabinet
        Jackson RR24

Comment

Still not sure why it goes out of tune but I believe the problem is that the neck is too low in the middle. Making the action good at the high and low frets but buzzing. So when i find my truss rod nut adjuster thingo ill fix it.

thanks!
          Marshall JCM800 2203
          G12K-100w Cabinet
          Jackson RR24

Comment

Working...
          X