schaller to OFR probs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• schaller to OFR probs?

Anybody ever have any Schaller to OFR inotation porblems, someting about the schaller being drilled 1/16th of in inch closer or farther away from the neck...

sounds like bs to me, swapped a jt500 which is very simlar to a schaller in a ps-4 for a Gotoh Floyd which is very similar to an OFR with NO inotation problems, bout to do the same with the schaller in my Kelly Pro, wondering if anyone has actually encountered a problem with this besides having to lengthin the trem route for the fine tuners

My understanding is that the problem doesn't always happen, but when it does it's with drop tunings, not so much with E or Eb.
    Last edited by dg; 08-01-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

The only real issue with the Schaller is that the saddle screw holes strip out easily if tightened down too hard. Just don't go crazy tightening down the saddles when you're setting the intonation.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        My understanding is that the problem doesn't always happen, but when it does it's with drop tunings, not so much with E or Eb.
        My old dinky is in drop C, and has been in C standard without an issue

So i dunno, 1/16th of an inch is miniscule, i think this is a myth, most floyds just should have enough adjustment to make up for that

Comment

That's cool that it worked out for you. I've never run across the issue myself, but I guarantee you that the guys who have reported the problem (like Zerberus, a well-respected long time member here) aren't making it up. I agree that 1/16" is a small amount, but if you are at the end of your range on a particular guitar it can be enough to cause a problem.

Comment

Ugh saddles at the end of their intonation range give me the blues.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              Ugh saddles at the end of their intonation range give me the blues.
              Me too! I've got an '01 USA hardtail Strat... I keep it tuned to Eb, and the saddle is as far back as it can go. Intonation is good enough for me, but it could stand to be moved back just a tiny bit more.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

mine worked flawlessly, maybe ill just go back with a schaller trem... still undecided, the gotoh floyds are just so nice

Comment

Joe, try removing the spring from the saddle screw, or cut it in half.
                  That'll give you a bit more room.

Or put a shim in the pocket behind the heel and see what that does. Might have to fill-n-redrill the neck holes.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Joe, try removing the spring from the saddle screw, or cut it in half.
                    That'll give you a bit more room.

Or put a shim in the pocket behind the heel and see what that does. Might have to fill-n-redrill the neck holes.
                    Yeah, I thought about taking the spring off awhile ago, but just never got around to doing it. It also has a micro-tilt adjuster, so I guess I could try tilting the neck back with that.
                    I may just end up refretting it with bigger frets or going with a new neck since I prefer a flatter than 9.5" radius anyway, and this guitar does sound awesome.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X