Gotoh tuners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh tuners

Will Gotoh locking tuners drop right into Jackson headstock peg holes?

I think the best I can come up with for you is "it depends."

Gotoh and Schaller tuners won't even drop right into Gotoh and Schaller tuner holes (of a different type) sometimes.

I have replaced Jackson tuners with Schaller M6's and dropped them right in. In one case ('02 DK1) I had to ream the tuner holes a bit because of the 2-step hole, the "bigger" step (first, from the rear) was not deep enough.

The Gotohs and Schaller M6's look similar in pictures as far as where the mounting screw hole goes but older Schaller tuners had the mounting screw at a 90-degree angle and so did Gotohs. Grovers have the screw in yet another spot.

So, I'll say this... Most likely you can drop in Gotoh locking tuners into the Jackson holes and screw the mounting screws in and you're done. Same thing with the newer Schallers (M6 and Mini Locking.) But, with tuners, there's always some kind of fun surprise to deal with. Like replacing Grovers with Schallers and re-drilling the mounting holes.

Comment

These Gotoh tuners are a direct replacement for Jackson branded tuners.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Shop_by_...s.html#details

-Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

i put them in a dinky with a gotoh floyd, worked great, have a set going in a kelly pro along with a gotoh floyd now

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post

Yeah, they are "Schaller style" so they fit like Schallers, either of which, PROBABLY will drop right in to fit a Jackson.

I put Schaller M6s on my SL2, and they fit perfect. I put them on my DK1, I had to ream the holes.

Comment

Yup those GOTOH fit nicely

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87249

Comment

Make sure about that .433" dimension to the screw hole in Sharkfin's link. That was a shorter distance on a JDR-94 Concept than others.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Great info thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                  Make sure about that .433" dimension to the screw hole in Sharkfin's link. That was a shorter distance on a JDR-94 Concept than others.
                  It didn't look like a stepped tuner ream in the pictures, either.

Comment

Uh, guys, those aren't locking tuners. I think he was looking for locking tuners to replace the standard Jackson-logo'd Gotohs?

So, back to your original question... No, Gotoh locking tuners (IIRC, they're called "Magnum-locks"?) are NOT drop-in replacements for the standard Jackson-logo'd Gotoh tuners. Sorry, but I've personally tried it. The peghead hole is not the same size, and the tuner posts themselves are taller on the locking version. So, without modification, they don't fit. Besides, I thought the locking mechanism on the Gotohs was sub-par, too. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                      No, Gotoh locking tuners (IIRC, they're called "Magnum-locks"?) are NOT drop-in replacements for the standard Jackson-logo'd Gotoh tuners. Sorry, but I've personally tried it.
                      Do you know what? I have a Jackson guitar on which I replaced the standard Jackson labeled tuners with a set of Gotoh SG381, HAPM. They fit perfectly, no troubles, the tuner dimensions are exactly the same.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                        Uh, guys, those aren't locking tuners. I think he was looking for locking tuners to replace the standard Jackson-logo'd Gotohs?

So, back to your original question... No, Gotoh locking tuners (IIRC, they're called "Magnum-locks"?) are NOT drop-in replacements for the standard Jackson-logo'd Gotoh tuners. Sorry, but I've personally tried it. The peghead hole is not the same size, and the tuner posts themselves are taller on the locking version. So, without modification, they don't fit. Besides, I thought the locking mechanism on the Gotohs was sub-par, too. Sorry.
                        Your right! Looks like we got a little off track.

Comment

Working...
                        X