NGD - San Dimas Type 1 - Taxi Cab Yellow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - San Dimas Type 1 - Taxi Cab Yellow

Hey guys, it's been a long time. I made the following post on TGP a few days ago and was reminded that I should be over here. DOH!

Also - Does anyone have a custom black pickguard that will fit a San Dimas Type 1 perfectly? I'd love to have a black pickguard on this beast.

-----------------

I've been eyeballing those USA Production Charvel guitars since they came out, but didn't pull the trigger on one until yesterday. My #1 guitar is my '58 Reissue Les Paul without a doubt, b I also really dig my RoadWorn Telecaster. Those two get the most play (95% Les Paul, 5% Telecaster.)

I also have a RoadWorn Stratocaster and a Jackson DK2M that are great guitars, but they just don't get much play time. My logic was to sell those two guitars and pick up another guitar that's nice, would get more use, and even add a little more versatility to the mix.

My RoadWorn Strat and Jackson DK2M are currently up for sale, so I jumped the gun and went ahead and picked up this Charvel yesterday. I love having ONLY THREE electrics! That's the magic number for me.

Here it is:

I really wanted the So Cal model with the pickguard and DiMarzio pickups, because I liked the look more and figured I'd like the darker nature of DiMarzio pickups over the brighter nature of Duncans. But I compared several different colors of the San Dimas and So Cal models and this yellow one stood out to me as being the superior guitar. Could've been be the setup, pickup height, newer strings, etc... But whatever it was, this guitar played and sounded better than the others to me, so I bought it.

I didn't go into it wanting a bright yellow guitar. LOL! I'm more of a "traditional" guy (black, white, sunburst, blonde, etc...) But man, I couldn't deny the fact that this guitar kicked butt!

I did a search today (on a different forum) and saw some complaints about the fretwork, the subpar Floyd-Rose, and how the price of $1,099 is too high for what you get. Well, I can't agree with any of that! I think these guitars kick all kinds of butt and are priced just right at $1,099. I think that's a very fair price when you consider that other manufacturers are basically building/selling the same type of guitar for alot more money.

I just got it yesterday (now a few days ago) and am already wondering if I should've just got the black model instead, but the yellow is kind of growing on me and there's no question that I bonded with this particular yellow guitar over all the others. So I guess the decision was right, but still... It's yellow!?!?!? LOL

Just wanted to share and hear from others that own these guitars. Do you still dig yours?

Chris

Nice grab - congrats!

Here's my black one and what I did to customize it.

I had zero complaints with mine stock - played great, sounded great, felt great. Love it.

Anyway - I wouldn't bother yourself about bastardizing some pickguard to fit on your - it would be pretty silly. Besides, they'll probably come out with a Yellow SoCal in the next batch.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

One of the members over at the Dinosaur Rock Guitar forum had a So Cal pickguard custom made.

http://www.dinosaurrockguitar.com/forum/
      Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Here's a picture someone made for me on TGP.

I think that looks freaking cool! Not sure I'd go through the trouble of making a template and having someone custom make one for me, though.

Comment

The pickguard would look great on the yellow, but I'd play it a while and see if the look without it grows on you - as-is looks great too. You can always add one later. If later you really want more of a SoCal, I bet you can find one for a good price and flip the yellow SD1 for about the same amount.

Comment

Personally, I like it without the pickguard. I think that yellow is awesome. It may even be ripe for some kind of graphics... I'd do that before a pickguard, though. I'd just feel wrong about putting one on it. And as the owner of a SoCal and various Strats, I'm not anti-pickguard by any means.

Hmm... I wonder if a SoCal pickguard would fit it directly.

Comment

That yellow kicks ass. Congrats.

Although that color would work very well on a SoCal too, I wouldn't do anything to your guitar. Looks perfect as it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Thump View Post
                Here's a picture someone made for me on TGP.

:ROTF: Check the image's URL :ROTF:

Looks like TGPers need to give due credit.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

looks very cool in yellow . congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                    Looks like TGPers need to give due credit.
                    It was actually a JCFer that made the post over there.

Comment

Hmmm. Last I checked I was banninated from there.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

that yellow is beautiful..nice gear (both guitar and amps)..congrats and enjoy your Charvel
                        www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
                        My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Hmmm. Last I checked I was banninated from there.
                          You naughty boy...

Comment

So who's going to be the first one to stripe up one of these Taxi-cab yellow SD1s?
                            -------------------------
                            Blank yo!

Comment

The Yellow is cool. I got my first USA Prod recently. I can see why they've generated so much controversy.

Comment

Working...
                              X