Drilling a hardtail the easy way.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drilling a hardtail the easy way.

When working with a blank body I have found the easiest way to drill for a string through hardtail is to do the math and get your location for the scale you are working with. Use a vix bit to center and locate the mounting screws and screw the ht to the body.
    Next use the same size bit as the string holes and use a drill press with a backing board on the body to keep it from splintering out the back.

Remove the bridge before moving to the next step.
    To drill the back for string ferrules use a step bit and the depth stop on your press to make perfect ferrule holes.
    I use a 1/4-5/16-3/8" bit for for Fender style ferrules.
    The step bit will self center on the string holes for perfect alignment.
    Test it in a scrap block the same thickness as the body to make sure the ferrule sits flush with the body.

cool post! This should be added to the sticky
    Hail yesterday

Comment

I am sorry, but this is INCORRECT, adtguitars. This is not the "easy" way to drill a hardtail. This is the RIGHT way.

Here is the EASY way to drill a hardtail:

1. Set the bridge on there and eyeball it about where it ought to be. Get right down there and have a close look!
      2. Take a break and have a couple of beers and come back, and see if it still "looks right."
      3. Consider waiting until tomorrow when you're not buzzing to complete the job.
      4. Have a couple more beers, and decide you're up for the job RIGHT NOW.
      5. Start drilling!
      6. After you drill a couple of holes, you consider that you should have measured, but continue with the job. It looked right, it will probably be fine! Right?
      7. Drill the string holes all the way through from the top side freehanded, using the holes in the bridge as a guide and make sure the drill is "pretty straight."
      8. Flip the guitar over, center a nail set in the string hole, and give it a good whack, just enough so the ball ends are recessed slightly and don't scrape up your cool leather jacket when you play.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        I am sorry, but this is INCORRECT, adtguitars. This is not the "easy" way to drill a hardtail. This is the RIGHT way.

Here is the EASY way to drill a hardtail:

1. Set the bridge on there and eyeball it about where it ought to be. Get right down there and have a close look!
        2. Take a break and have a couple of beers and come back, and see if it still "looks right."
        3. Consider waiting until tomorrow when you're not buzzing to complete the job.
        4. Have a couple more beers, and decide you're up for the job RIGHT NOW.
        5. Start drilling!
        6. After you drill a couple of holes, you consider that you should have measured, but continue with the job. It looked right, it will probably be fine! Right?
        7. Drill the string holes all the way through from the top side freehanded, using the holes in the bridge as a guide and make sure the drill is "pretty straight."
        8. Flip the guitar over, center a nail set in the string hole, and give it a good whack, just enough so the ball ends are recessed slightly and don't scrape up your cool leather jacket when you play.
        I stand corrected

Comment

Working...
        X