Non-recessed Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-recessed Floyd

After using search for a bit and looking up non-recessed floyds, I still have a few questions about them. I'd appreciate some help with this if possible

1. I know that a non-recess floyd has no recession in the body to pull the trem up, but from what I saw in other threads, people generally don't have their non-recess floyds flush with the body. Does that mean you can do pull-ups, just not extreme Dimebag pull-ups?

2. A non-recess floyd I hear is the best way to use a EVH d-tuna. Do you have to adjust a non-recess floyd a special way to use that device or is it very simple to set up?

Thanks in advance

- Matt
    My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Question 1, yes. Question 2, you have to block the trem for dive only to use the d-tuna. If you dont, all your strings will go out of tune when you flick it either way.

Comment

thanks man...so what range of pull-ups are possible for non-recessed? is it just like 1 whole step or something?
      My name may be Matt, but in no case does that mean I will let you walk all over me

Comment

Depends how you set it uo. If you've a bolt-on neck, you can shim it to raise it, consequentally raising the floyd and pulling up to your heart's content, before it hits the body. Just so long as you dont set your floyd so low that pulling up will cause the strings to lie flat across the frets, you can get some decent pullups. 2 whole tones at the bare minimum, ideally. Can go beyond that, only depends how it's set up!
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivion99 View Post
          thanks man...so what range of pull-ups are possible for non-recessed? is it just like 1 whole step or something?

It also depends on the guitar. Some early JAckson bolt-ons had the trem so close to the body, u could only raise it a full step. But that can be shimmed as mentioned,

But, I think of a non-recessed trem as one that sits up from the body. It can still have a route under it, and some late-80s Jacksons, bolts and neckthus, had this, and you could raise the Floyd till the strings fretted out. These are actually my faves.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
          X