JT580LP Locknut replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT580LP Locknut replacement...

The usual question. I found some info searching but it's kind of dated so let me ask this again...

My '96 SL2 has a JT580LP. The lock nut is the same as the one on my '92 Fusion HH.

I really need replacements for both guitars, but of course OFR (and Korean OFR) nuts are about 1 mm too tall.

Does ANYONE sell a QUALITY replacement lock nut which I won't need to spend hours filing to the correct height?

How about the Stewmac.com Schaller R4 nut?

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...s.html#details

I'm tempted to try this but as I said, when I searched I found others trying locknuts from here and there only to be disappointed that they weren't the correct height.

Anyone?!?

*bump*

Nothing but crickets. Guess I should resume grinding down the OFR nut?

Comment

I've heard that you can just file down the nut shelf. It would definitely go faster than filing the nut itself.
      Scott

Comment

Mmmm... You *could* do that, but I wouldn't recommend it. That should be done with a router so it's perfectly flat and square. I'd take it to my luthier and have it done if I end up going that route; I don't have a router or a jig to do it like he would.

So far, so good on filing the nut, though, the caliper says I've gotten it down a little over .3 mm in under an hour, so I figure another couple of hours max and I'm done.

I figure, a good machined OFR nut should last 5 - 10 years if not abused, so I shouldn't have to do this again for a while.

Comment

Working...
        X