Pickup Help- a hotter JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Help- a hotter JB

I'm replacing the PU's in my San Dimas and wanted some suggestions. I bought my guitar used and it came with Motor City nukes- http://motorcitypickups.com/products/nuke.htm

they lack a lot of detail/ depth and I want to replace them.

Now recently I got a DK2M and I like how the JB sounds, but want something a little more ferocious. As far as music and tones think Lynch Ratt, Impellitteri, Nuno . These are the PU's I'm thinking of and what to know what your experiences are with them.

SD RTM- I've heard it like a souped up JB and might be right up my alley, but theres no where around to test them out. How are they?

SD Dave Mustaine- Its an active JB, right? Any more output or detail?

Suhr Alrdich- Kind of like a JB, right?

Tom Anderson H[?]- I've played a few anderson guitars and really liked their tone, but I don't know which PU is which. What did Robin Crosby play when they were in his guitars?

Any help would be great. Suggestions or opinions on the pu's above. Again I'm looking for something like a JB but a little more ferocious. (I'll think about a neck PU after I find one for the bridge)

...And please... for the love of god...don't suggest EMG's

Robbin Crosby used Tom Anderson H-3 and H-2 pickups.
    Last edited by Mr.Shreddy; 07-01-2009, 10:12 PM.
    Ratt & Roll

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
      I'm replacing the PU's in my San Dimas and wanted some suggestions. I bought my guitar used and it came with Motor City nukes- http://motorcitypickups.com/products/nuke.htm

they lack a lot of detail/ depth and I want to replace them.

Now recently I got a DK2M and I like how the JB sounds, but want something a little more ferocious. As far as music and tones think Lynch Ratt, Impellitteri, Nuno . These are the PU's I'm thinking of and what to know what your experiences are with them.

SD RTM- I've heard it like a souped up JB and might be right up my alley, but theres no where around to test them out. How are they?

SD Dave Mustaine- Its an active JB, right? Any more output or detail?

Suhr Alrdich- Kind of like a JB, right?

Tom Anderson H[?]- I've played a few anderson guitars and really liked their tone, but I don't know which PU is which. What did Robin Crosby play when they were in his guitars?

Any help would be great. Suggestions or opinions on the pu's above. Again I'm looking for something like a JB but a little more ferocious. (I'll think about a neck PU after I find one for the bridge)

...And please... for the love of god...don't suggest EMG's

Find a old JB...they are Friggin" Awesome! I see them on Ebay every now & then. I have one that is from the early 1990's & it is the best sounding pickup I own. I hope this helps.

Comment

I swapped my JB for an OBL L500XL and I love it. (Same pickup Dime used, not his Dimebucker.)

Comment

Not quite the same sound, but I like the Duncan Distortion a lot. Like a slightly hotter, slightly more compressed JB with clearer lows.
          Scott

Comment

Duncan custom; hotter and fuller than a JB, with the clarity and openness of a lower output pickup.

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Dimarzio Super Distortion. End of story.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Duncan Custom 5 or Custom Custom.

ToneZone (same choked nutless JB tone when backed off the strings, closer to a Duncan Distortion with it up under the strings)

You may also try a little thing called magnet swapping, whereby you replace the JB's magnet with a different value - I think it's got an Alnico 2 in it. Try an Alnico 5 or 8. Lot's of info on that sorta thing on the Duncan Forums.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Seconding Sully on the Custom. Sounds especially awesome in alder, imo. I also like the Distortion, and I agree w/ Spiv's description. For me, it helps to brighten up a guitar that needs it, but I haven't liked it as much as the Custom in alder guitars.

Comment

Threads like this make me wonder why the JB is so popular. I liked it when I first got it because it was such an improvement over the stock pickups, but now it just sounds muddy compared to all of my other guitars. Too bassy, I think.
                    Scott

Comment

Because it sounds good to me in my rig. I don't have any muddyness issues. Warren didn't have any muddyness issues. We can go on and on. Short answer, in the right guitar, right rig, and right style of music, it works great.

Look at the answers people have given. Looks like no one can agree on what a hotter JB is.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        You may also try a little thing called magnet swapping, whereby you replace the JB's magnet with a different value - I think it's got an Alnico 2 in it. Try an Alnico 5 or 8. Lot's of info on that sorta thing on the Duncan Forums.
                        The JB has an Alnico 5. An A8 or ceramic magnet would be cool to try out in the JB. An A2 would probably just make it a little warmer, less aggressive and spongy sounding.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Dimarzio SuperDistortion (ceramic) = Iron Maiden Heaven

Duncan JB (alnico 5) = Ratt - Warrent - most hair bands

Duncan Custom (ceramic) = Sully's favorite and a nice cross between a distortion and jb. Lamb of God is using them now.

Gibson 57 classic (ceramic) = Thin Lizzy perfection

Gibson 500T (ceramic) = classic metal tones - think Scorpions & 1st Metallica album.

Suhr Adrich (alnico 5) = Hot PAF style open and clear.

SD Alnico Pro II (alnico 2) = Slash's pickup of choice.

PAF 36th anv. (alnico 2) = classic Les Paul sounds.

PAF Pro (alnico 5) = Paul Gilbert's favorite, Hot PAF with more output.

Alnico Pro II (alnico 2) = Slash's pickup of choice.
                          Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Bill Lawrence USA 500XL

or

Duncan Distortion

Although to be perfectly honest I'm not sure how you think Ratt and Nuno are "ferocious" when the JB isn't hot enough for you, considering Marty Friedman and Dave Mustaine used them for the classic 'Deth stuff?
                            Nuno more ferocious than Marty?

Not sure about that...
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

I know you said no EMG's. But have you ever tried 2 85's? I actually don't like the 81 too much, but 2 85's scream!
                              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X