bolt on into set neck??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bolt on into set neck??

Hey guys, I have a js series king v that im refinishing and im wondering if I glue the neck in the neck pocket, sand it up a little, can I make it a set neck?
    I wonder what it feels like to have money...

...ahhh fuck it guitars are better!

Originally posted by metalvince333 View Post
    Hey guys, I have a js series king v that im refinishing and im wondering if I glue the neck in the neck pocket, sand it up a little, can I make it a set neck?
    The first question is why would you want to do this in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
      The first question is why would you want to do this in the first place?
      Exactly.... why, why, why?

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
        Exactly.... why, why, why?
        Because he can

And to get more sustain. Those crappy bolt ons....

Comment

Yo yo yo - set necks got MAD sustain! Bolt-ons suxXxs!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Somebody here did it once to a bolt-on Rhoads... or maybe it was one of those Alexi Laiho ESPs. It was kind of interesting; though, I'm still not sure why he did it.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Somebody here did it once to a bolt-on Rhoads... or maybe it was one of those Alexi Laiho ESPs. It was kind of interesting; though, I'm still not sure why he did it.
              There ya go. My original question still stands.

Comment

Given the fact that a set-neck is traditionally a narrow tenon inside a socket that is of equal thickness on either side, no, you cannot turn a bolt-on into a set-neck with some glue and some sanding.

There's only one thing you can physically do to a bolt-on to improve upper-fret access if that's your goal: shave down the edges of the neck heel just before it goes into the pocket.

If you're looking to add sustain, add mass to the body such as metal rods inside or plates bolted to the body.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  Given the fact that a set-neck is traditionally a narrow tenon inside a socket that is of equal thickness on either side, no, you cannot turn a bolt-on into a set-neck with some glue and some sanding.

There's only one thing you can physically do to a bolt-on to improve upper-fret access if that's your goal: shave down the edges of the neck heel just before it goes into the pocket.

If you're looking to add sustain, add mass to the body such as metal rods inside or plates bolted to the body.
                  So that would add sustain? I have all bolt-ons (except a gibson explorer) and I don't mind, but the sustain sometimes isn't up to par, but thats a good idea.
                  I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

I once read from a luthier who did that.
                    He and and his customer said that it didnt make any difference.
                    '97 KV1 alder

Comment

Adding mass definitely adds sustain, however you'll have to add 1/2 pound of weight minimum to notice a difference.

That's a basswood WRMG body with about 1.5 pounds of extra metal on it, and it sustains as well as any guitar I own - neckthrough, bolt-on, or set-neck.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Adding mass definitely adds sustain, however you'll have to add 1/2 pound of weight minimum to notice a difference.

That's a basswood WRMG body with about 1.5 pounds of extra metal on it, and it sustains as well as any guitar I own - neckthrough, bolt-on, or set-neck.
                        Riding on the WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND!!!!!!!!!
                        "Dear Dr. Bill,
                        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Ill yust order me a guitar made of Fe
                          A magnetic metal guitar?No need for pickups... one giant pickup with millenium of sustain...supplied with case and forklift
                          why nobody ever thought of that...od did it?http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/in...opic=17798&hl=

Comment

There were some brass sustain plates made years ago called Fathead that would add mass to the headstock as well. I had one for an SG once, sold it on ebay. Man did it sell fast

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              Mark did it (mc2002?) for someone else on the board.

He mated a 24 fret DK2 neck to a RR3 body, and had to take out the neck pickup.

Comment

Working...
                              X