Floating Floyd... Doesn't return to pitch exactly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floating Floyd... Doesn't return to pitch exactly

Oh, hi, it's me again, with more bizarre tremolo questions...

Any of you guys with a fairly accurate tuner notice your floating Floyds consistently go just a little sharp after a dive/flat after a pull-up?

I tried three of mine. Not every one I own, but every one I tried. All three do it... All three new-ish floating OFR's. Pretty consistent in the amount they're off, even.

I never had a decent tuner (always tuned to a keyboard "A") before now and the last time I had this issue it was 1980-something and a crappy licensed Floyd and it was off enough you could tell by ear, but in this case my ear isn't good enough to detect the difference, but my TUNER can.

They're set up about as well as they can be; the only thing I can think of to do is maybe try a little bit of lube on the posts/knives.

Is everything new? Springs? Nut? Posts?

Unless your talking about a couple cents off, I would think there's something fishy with one thing or another.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Put some chapstick on knife edges/posts (where the contact is).

Do floyd posts wobble around in the body? Wrap some teflon plumbers tape around its windings so that they are perfectly snug and don't wobble around.

Comment

Yup, all new "fresh outta the box" on all three.

It's not off by very much, but enough to display on the tuner. Basically about the same amount as if you compared the guitar laying in your lap vs. holding it against your chest, I'm not sure I can even detect it (but my tuner can) but my ear's not as good as it used to be.

Comment

Check the nut. My recent experience has been that I've had to (only after initial install), tune up to pitch, lock, whammy a bit, then unlock, unscrew the nut a little bit, then screw 'er back in.

I had to do this when I first got my Pro-Mod (from the factory) and after I installed a new nut - both were German R3's. Seems like it needed a little help "seating" it.

I should also note, it made a clunking sound when I whammied until I fixed it
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I never have any issues with Floyds. Original or not. That's why I don't understand why a lot of people dislike Floyds.
            "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

It's funny you mention that! I originally went down this rat hole because of that exact issue.

It was sharp after a dive (because the nut slid back under no load on the fretboard side) and flat after a pull up,and I was hearing creaking/clicking noises. I found that the nut was a little loose, definitely looser than when I installed it, but it's good and tight on the neck now.

So after I fixed that, I "tested" my fix and discovered it was now slightly the opposite, so it seemed like maybe the springs were binding or maybe the knife edges.

Then I tried my other SD1 and then my Soloist... Same deal. I didn't lube the posts when I installed them, so they're basically totally dry. I think this could be my mistake... I'm gonna try that later and hopefully that fixes it.

Comment

Working...
              X