Model 4 pickup swap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 pickup swap ?

I gigged my model 4 this weekend for the first time in a long time, I'd forgotten what a comfortable and reliable guitar it is ..
    what I didn't remember though was how weak and thin the standard bridge pickup sounded .. either my ears are getting even worse, or it's time for a swap.
    I've got a J90c and a DiMarzio DP155 ToneZone in my parts box, has anyone tried either of these in a model 4, and how did it go? ( please don't send me shopping for anything else, funds simply don't permit that right now )
    I've held off a pup swap for years because of the active mid-boost, but I remember reading somewhere that the pickups themselves are passive .. is that right?
    I'm sure this is going over old ground, so thanks for the patience, and any suggestions!
    cheers
    Tim

They come with a J-50bc in the bridge, put the J-90c in there that should juice it up just fine. They are passive.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Have you tried a fresh battery?

Comment

thanks guys, and good call on the battery - it's a while since I changed it, but I've used it so little I'd have thought it was still ok.

Looking at the specs on the J90c and the J50bc, the J50 is 6dB ( 4 times! ) more powerful than the J90 ( at resonant peak ) , but the J90 has a lower resonant freq, less peaky Q, and almost twice the dc resistance .. I think the J90's going in guys !

cheers

I'm still curious .. how many others have swapped out the 'bucker in a model 4/5/6, and what for?

Comment

Working...
        X