Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking sustain

Hey All-

As mentioned by a few on here, my Charvel Model 3 is not a sustain monster. What guitar/pup combos would give a guy more sustain and harmonics?

Thanks!

Get a 375! Or a floyd!But me personally, it would be a 375!
    I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Any guitar should have half decent sustain - have you tried seeing what the problem might be with yours?
      What pickups are in it just now?
      Are you using any pedals? Adding something cheap like a Boss DS-1 will add a lot of sustain.
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by john.w.lawson View Post
        Get a 375! Or a floyd!But me personally, it would be a 375!
        With a toothpaste logo? Blech!
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
          With a toothpaste logo? Blech!

You talk"n to ME??? BLECH! No with a shampoo logo Or even a Deoderant logo will work+the Ladies will love you for it
          I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

Toothpaste logo rules! The guitar logo is what is quite gimmicky.

Lower the pups if needed, bring up the action, try heavier strings, big block if you#re feeling adventurous. Those few should help you some.
            Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
            Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

What's a Blech ?
              Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Originally posted by leftybob View Post
                What's a Blech ?
                a generic sound of distaste. Often accompanied by the hanging out of the tongue

what's wrong with toothpaste logos? My 550XL is a fine guitar!

Although suggesting a 375 to fix sustain issues on a Model 3 isn't particularly helpful I'd prefer the Model 3
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  a generic sound of distaste. Often accompanied by the hanging out of the tongue

Although suggesting a 375 to fix sustain issues on a Model 3 isn't particularly helpful I'd prefer the Model 3
                  Sustain is a problem with the model 3 for some reason? I had one, loved the tone! but it lack the sustain. It had stock pickups very nice,But notes would fall off??? I have a 375 deluxe and do not have that problem! But I also suggested a bridge swap!Maybe not having thousands of dollars worth of gear is the real problem Not!

Comment

One of each is a pretty small sample size. Dogs happen, even in high dollar guitars. I do agree that the JT-590 is a better trem than the JT-6, and I have gotten somewhat better sustain after putting OFRs on Model Series guitars, but they had plenty of sustain with the original trems.

Comment

More sustain? Crank your amp and stand in front of it!
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post

Oh, the guitar is fine - I beleive you... I just hate the toothpaste Charvel logos - its hardwired into me. And if someone recommends a toothpastie over a pointy logo, man, I get ornery.

On sustain - I've found sustain is directly linked to setup - there's always something that can be tweaked to improve it. Check the neck-body connection. Check the nut. Check the bridge.
                        Blank yo!

Comment

Model 3? With a Kahler or Floyd-type?

If it's the Kahler, that's part of the problem - too many individual parts in the saddles.

However, first you have to define the sustain you're getting from it now, in clear terms (i.e. actual audible time duration), as well as the tone you're using (amp, modeler, etc - audio clips say more than text descriptions and "sounds like so-and-so guitarist, kinda, to me anyway, from that one album"), and include what you think you should be getting and why, again, stated clearly and logically.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I always hear people talking about sustain - and I'm like, "how much sustain do you even need?"
                            Blank yo!

Comment

His and mine had,has jt-6..And it all depends on your sustain needs! I am playing through rp7 to randall rc235. The model 2 I just sold had a kahler and had more sustain.But it was just to clean of a guitar for me! If it don't have some scratche and stuff I get worried about have'n it setting out! And all of this is just opinions anyway,Mark wants more from his,I need more from mine. two step bend then some vibrato,if it won't do that,its of no use to me.....and for the record grand pooba the model 1 a of yours had good sustain!!
                              Last edited by john.w.lawson; 06-18-2009, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X