Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Jackson have factory setup specs listed anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Jackson have factory setup specs listed anywhere?

When I got my Ibanez bass, I went on their website and they have full setup specs on there to start with. Can't find for Jackson. I have some small issues to work out on my DKMG and want to try a full setup starting with factory specs (relief, string height, pup height, etc..) and tweak from there. Anyone got the factory specs?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

OMG, It's not brain surgery! Just screws and wire after all.

Get in there and adjust....adjust again, and YET AGAIN if necessary...until it feels right for you.

You'll be be better off for the experience and the next time it'll be much easier.
    Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

That's not the problem. I've done plenty of setups. But for some reason, this one's got me a bit annoyed and I can't get that normal Jackson low setup with no buzz. It doesn't play bad but I can't seem to get rid of the buzz on the E string. I've gone from completely straight up to about 1/16" relief and the buzz stays up to about the 5th fret unless I go with strat string height. I wouldn't mind the buzz if it was normal but all the Jacksons I have/had I was able to get perfect... That's why I play them!!

Comment

Shim the nut with one slice of a magazine subscription card or printer paper.

You might also want to try two slices of either paper under the heel of the neck, or if the neck angles back too far (possible), at the front of the neck to decrease the angle slightly.

Another option is to get a neck from an entirely different model (DK2, DK2M, etc) since they use miniscule differences in neck pocket and heel slopes for the various model ranges. Sounds crazy I know, but I've swapped necks between Dinkys and Warriors in the same model range and was able to get lower action on both without shims and only minor truss rod tweaks.

Lastly, don't expect buzz-free action on the low E with anything over a 42. Most Jacksons are designed with 9s in mind, meaning the fret and nut height work best with a set of 9s tuned to A=440.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc. I'm sticking with .009's on all my Jacksons now. I (somewhat painstakingly) measured everything on my Kelly which is the best setup guitar I've ever seen. I never use measurements normally when I setup guitars, just feel. Matched everything onto the DKMG and it was really close to no buzz. The nut is a hair higher on the DKMG than the kelly but as it turned out, the neck didn't stay where I had it set for some reason and was barely backbowed. Adjusted a hair of relief into it and all seems good now. Been stable for a few days so I think I'm good now.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
            Shim the nut with one slice of a magazine subscription card or printer paper.

You might also want to try two slices of either paper under the heel of the neck, or if the neck angles back too far (possible), at the front of the neck to decrease the angle slightly.

Another option is to get a neck from an entirely different model (DK2, DK2M, etc) since they use miniscule differences in neck pocket and heel slopes for the various model ranges. Sounds crazy I know, but I've swapped necks between Dinkys and Warriors in the same model range and was able to get lower action on both without shims and only minor truss rod tweaks.

Lastly, don't expect buzz-free action on the low E with anything over a 42. Most Jacksons are designed with 9s in mind, meaning the fret and nut height work best with a set of 9s tuned to A=440.
            I have 11's on my dinky and have a pretty decently low action, torsion bar is pretty cranked though

Comment

Working...
            X