Floyd Rose hellllpppp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose hellllpppp?

Ok, so I have a MG series DXMG. Most of the music I like and jams/improvisions that I play are in drop C. But when I dropped it to C before, the floyd was bent downward. No pic but you probably get the hint. Was it because I have standard gauge strings, or do I have to adjust the springs?

Originally posted by Hellbat
    Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

What gauge strings are you using? For drop C I think I would go with 12's. I hate sloppy feeling strings. My personal rule of thumb is increase by one for each note downtuned. For E I use 10's. D I use 11's. C is 12's, and when I had one tuned to B, I used 13's.
    Last edited by Musician78; 06-16-2009, 05:21 PM.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

I use standard EB's .10 - .46. I don't mind the feel, just the result of down tuning.
      Hey this is METAL. You don't need to roll with your homies and G's in a fkn Bentley while sippin' Cristal. You want to eat food that makes you want to curb stomp people. McDonalds delivers that. At least they weren't throwing back flapjacks at the Denny's across the street.

Comment

If you want that feel then you will need to at least remove a spring, prolly a couple... if you only have two springs on it, then you will have to loosen the screws that hold the trem claw in.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Ok, I took the back spring plate off and it has three in there. If I remove the middle spring, there won't be any floyd problems when I drop tune?

Comment

I wouldn't say that. Remove one and see if your trem is closer to being level. Obviously it should be. If it is still not level mess with the screws a bit. Make sure you check your tuning as soon as you remove the spring. It could be enough..... And don't forget to reintonate after. It might not mbe necessary, but anytine I do anykind of weird adjustments, I check the intonation. You would be surprised what can mess with that.

This is why if you have a Floyd, it is good to find a tuning you like and leave it there. Obviously some people don't have more than one guitar... and this might not be an option.
            Last edited by Musician78; 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM.

Comment

You have to loosen the screws in the cavity (The ones attached to the springs and the body) to alleviate for the lower amount of pressure being put on the strings.
              "Dear Dr. Bill,
              I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

So Ben, say I take the locking nut off, and start to drop to C#. When it's done, if I see the floyd raised or lowered, I mess with the screws? Then when it looks about right, I just fine tune the guitar?

Comment

You got it all figured out?

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFriedmanIsMaster View Post
                    So Ben, say I take the locking nut off, and start to drop to C#. When it's done, if I see the floyd raised or lowered, I mess with the screws? Then when it looks about right, I just fine tune the guitar?
                    Yes. You tune it, look at the bridge, loosen or tighten the screw based on where the bridge is, retune the guitar, repeat until the bridge is level then lock it and fine tune. After that it should be okay.
                    "Dear Dr. Bill,
                    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Wow that worked perfectly, thanks Ben. Now if I want to go to standard tuning I just tighten it after I tune up?

Comment

Awesome job, Ben. My posts were just fodder.

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFriedmanIsMaster View Post
                          Wow that worked perfectly, thanks Ben. Now if I want to go to standard tuning I just tighten it after I tune up?
                          It's not as simple as that, but basically, yes. It's a pain in the ass, takes some fine tuning. Best thing is to leave it in the same tuning, with the same gauge strings on it all the time.

For your tuning, you might want to look at Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ERNIE-BALL-SKI...QQcmdZViewItem
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                          X