Floyd Rose Sustainer Pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Sustainer Pickup

I have this old Floyd Rose Sustainer pickup that a friend gave me back in the late 90s. It's brand new, he gave it to me because he couldn't figure out how to wire it up. Anyway, I've been rebuilding an old Ibanez and now I'm down to the pickups. I was wondering if anyone has ever used one of these. Comments? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for it? Since it's a sustainer, can it be used in a single hum cinfiguration or should I just move on and fuggetaboutit?
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Originally posted by Robert Hendrix View Post
    Since it's a sustainer, can it be used in a single hum cinfiguration or should I just move on and fuggetaboutit?
    Well, of course it can be used, and it will most definitely work just fine. Perfectly as a matter of fact!

Problem is, you need a pickup on there somewhere to hear it... but yeah. it'd work on its own

I tried diggin around, and on Harmony Central (the Devil) some bloke said that it's ''a pickup with sustainer properties''. That makes me wonder though. If it's something like the Fernandes, it will definitely be sustainer only, but if what that dude is saying is true, it may infact substitute as a pickup as well.
    Got any pics man? Also, how many wires on that thing?

My advice to you would be to e-mail Floyd Rose and see what they have to say. That'd be a very good start, and I believe ould save you a few headaches.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by Dred View Post
      Well, of course it can be used, and it will most definitely work just fine. Perfectly as a matter of fact!

Problem is, you need a pickup on there somewhere to hear it... but yeah. it'd work on its own

I tried diggin around, and on Harmony Central (the Devil) some bloke said that it's ''a pickup with sustainer properties''. That makes me wonder though. If it's something like the Fernandes, it will definitely be sustainer only, but if what that dude is saying is true, it may infact substitute as a pickup as well.
      Got any pics man? Also, how many wires on that thing?

My advice to you would be to e-mail Floyd Rose and see what they have to say. That'd be a very good start, and I believe ould save you a few headaches.
      It should be a sustainer only. It works with the bridge pickup on, but it has to be located in the neck position. I believe the sustainer in the Jackson PC-1 is the same thing as the "Floyd Rose Sustainer" made in the '80s, so anyone with the PC-1 should be able to help and give you more details about it.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        It should be a sustainer only. It works with the bridge pickup on, but it has to be located in the neck position. I believe the sustainer in the Jackson PC-1 is the same thing as the "Floyd Rose Sustainer" made in the '80s, so anyone with the PC-1 should be able to help and give you more details about it.
        Aag, that's exactly what I was expecting. A "pickup with sustainer properties" seemed fucking retarded to me, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. Some weird shit came out of the eighties, so you can never be too safe

Here's a wiring diagram of a fernandes sustainer. Should point you in the right direction.
        http://fernandesguitars.com/manuals/FSK101.pdf
        Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
        Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

No, it's actually a pickup. I believe what the guy on Harmony central said was right, it may have sustainer properties, but it is indeed a pickup. The guy I got it from said that he actually got it working as a pickup but couldn't figure out how to wire it up to work like a sustainer. At the time that didn't make alot of sense to me, but coupled with what the guy said on HC, I think I understand a little more now.

I'll take some pics of it and post em later, but as far as looks, it pretty much looks like a run of the mill humbucker, with 4 wires Brown, Green, White and Shield. On the top is stamped "Floyd Rose Sustainer Pat pend" and on the bottom is a Schaller logo and a sticker with 10/89-1- stamped on it (I assume that was the munufacture date)

Oh yeah, one thing that makes it look a little different from a normal pickup is a piece of metal that covers the aft side of the pickup.
          Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Hmm. Did Floyd make more than one kind of sustainer then?
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Isn't the Sustainiac a "pickup with sustainer properties"? Or even a "sustainer AND a pickup"?
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

They had the single and the humbucker style.

The ASI Sustainiac driver doubles as a single coil, so I see no reason why the Floyd Rose wouldn't as well - it's a copper coil wound around a magnetic bar.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                X