Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep tweakin', or leave well enough alone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep tweakin', or leave well enough alone?

Okay, so on the advice of this forum, I tweaked and re-tweaked my tremolo on my DKMG with the tremsetter to get it as close to parallel as possible. This is one tricky MOFO!

Here is the original thread for reference:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94176

... and, after much adjusting and re-adjusting, this is as close as I was able to get the trem to parallel:

It plays well, stays in tune, but the trem is still about 1/16" from parallel (the contour of the guitar body makes this even more difficult to sight).

As previously mentioned, having an uneven tremolo could result in undue upward pressure on the knife posts... but in this case, I am only about 1/16" off.

So, I appeal to the wisdom of the board and the many players out there who have WAY more experience than I.... keep tweaking or leave well enough alone?

This is my first guitar over $400, so I am a little more anal about it. Sorry if it is irritating to you guys, but I really don't want to screw this one up.

Thanks for all the help!

Ed

Judging by how much trouble you are having, just leave it.

Spend more time playing it than playing with it.

Comment

I think 1/16" is close enough
      Scott

Comment

+1 1/16 is fine. Plug it in and play it like you own it!
        In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

I'd rather it lean forward than backwards.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

If those are new strings, the strings will stretch out and the position of the trem will change. Just keep your eye on it and adjust as needed.
            Good work and enjoy playing it.
            Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
              If those are new strings, the strings will stretch out and the position of the trem will change. Just keep your eye on it and adjust as needed.
              Yeah, not really. The windings on the post and around the ball end will tighten - but the string itself won't "stretch." That's what Floyd Rose believes, that's what I believe and have experienced:

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...6&postcount=25
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
                I was wondering about that... but it seems that the strings would stretch in the direction that I DON'T want the bridge to go - any further, that is. I think that the Tremsetter might negate changes of position of the bridge based on string tension, but I could be wrong.

As long as I am not doing any damage to my guitar or tremolo, I can live with things the way that they are. Again, this is my first expensive (for me) guitar and I really don't want to f*** it up!

BTW... the Tremsetter is a really cool piece of equipment. Works exactly as they say. Make any initial whammy bar antics feel notchy at first, but I really like that anyway - I know where the "zero" point is by feel now.

Comment

you need to set the trem parallel with new strings, (after you have stretched the shit out of them). and the trem should sit parallel for the life of those strings. (life of guitar strings is technically untill the stings loose their elasticity.) then the trem will start to sag to the rear.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                  X