Emg help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg help needed

right, i have a guitar with a H S S pickup config , all of the pickups are passive, can i just change out the bridge pickup for a emg 81 and leave the stock passive single coils in? I wont be doing the wiring, i'll leave that to my guitar tech

thanks

nope

Comment

I'd say yes, you can, but you'll need the 81 wired to its own volume pot (25K) and the singles going to their own pot (250K or 500K).

You'll have to wire the pickup directly to the pot, then the pot to the pickup selector.
      You won't be able to any Bridge+single options, though.

Alternatively you can just get a Duncan Distortion and be done with it, or two EMG SAs.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Before you do this, are you sure you like the EMG sound? Personally I can't stand it.

Follow Newc's advice and try the Distortion. It's quickly becoming my favorite pickup.
        Scott

Comment

Emg single coils sound great. Really chimey, cutting and clear. Exactly How a single should sound.
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

You'll also need a stereo jack for the EMG, otherwise your battery will drain very quickly.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

the only way to use passives with EMG's is to use the EMG PA-2 preamp. i'm sure emg can send you a diagram for the correct wiring.

you can leave the passive pups in, but disconnected unless you wire in the PA-2 or your EMG's will not sound right.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

thanks for the advise

Comment

To add on to Dreaming_Rebel, you can also use an Afterburner- it's the exact same principle. If you're wonderin', the Afterburner and PA-2 are the exact same thing, except the Afterburner is readily adjustable, while the PA-2 is only adjustable through its trimpot on the circuit board. Hope that helped any!
                  Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
                  Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

thanks very much, but since the new jackson pro neck through kv5fr came out, i think i might save the money towards that:P

Comment

Alright, This is a bit old thread, but I just have to tell you the trick unless you already went through all the bullshit of putting an active with passives. Buy an EMG HZ, Their not the low end of EMG's, their a high end pickup, their just passive. If you really want the EMG 81 tone, which yes, many people love, Myself one, then EMG HZ will give you that without the battery. I have an RR24 with the 81, and an ESP MH250 with the HZ's. Seriously, I'm not gunna bother buying actives for that ESP, it sounds the same as my rhoads, only difference, is slight volume, not sure why, the actives just have a slight gain boost, nothing a turn of the gain knob on the overdrive pedal cant do. But honestly, if you have two passive singles, and you dont want to run all actives, just go all or nothing, if you must, run some active dimarzio singles.
                      www.myspace.com/memnochband
                      www.myspace.com/thefairyprincesses

Comment

Well, You could do the Laiho, he has an Hz and one of the active circuits (after burner, or the Pa-2, I think it's the latter though.) So My interpretation is that an Hz plus the Pa-2 sounds EXACTLY like the 81, but you can have passive neck and middles, and have an active OR passive bridge. That is my two cents worth.
                        I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

the Pa-2 is just an active preamp booster. just like the afterburner except it has a mini scew on the inside to preset a desired amount of gain with a toggle switch to turn that on and off.
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                          X