Intonation Mystery -Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intonation Mystery -Advice Needed

I consider myself to have persistence and the ability to figure shit out most of the time. This is NOT one of those times.

Jackson 24 fret 25.5 scale. Licensed FR (takuchi).

Problem:

A string is 1/4 step or so sharp playing open and when pressing the string down on fret 5 (D note). That is compared to the properly tuned D string (open). It is slightly less sharp as I go towards the body. It is in tune at fret 12 for both the pressed string and the chime.

The A string will not intonate w/the D string. As mentioned, it is quite sharp. The A and Low E strings are fine. D, G, B and High E are all fine.

Why only the A string in relation to the D string? Is it a nut issue? I have worked on this for a while now and just can not figure it out for certain. Any help, advice, kicks to the nuts, etc., are welcomed. I had a full head of fairly long hair before I started. It is looking a bit spotty up there about now. :think:
    In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Is the action unusually high?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Just intonate by comparing the open string to the 12th fret. A guitar will really not be in tune with itself all over the neck; it's just the nature of the beast.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Action is fairly low. No buzzing anywhere. I could lower it a little more if I wanted. I have the Low E string between 1.5 mm and 2.0 mm at the 12th. It is slightly lower than 1.5 mm on the High E at the 12th. This is close to where I like my setups to be but would be willing (and have tried) lowering and raising to try and compensate for the annoying A string.

I have already chased the A string saddle all over the trem. No love.

Toe - I completely understand what you are saying. I know it will not be perfect all over the neck. However, this is the worst I have ever encountered. 1/4 to 3/8 step off intonation means something is throwing it that far off. If I open tune the A string to sync w/the D string the compromise is too noticeable elsewhere. FRUSTRATING!!!

Comment

Some additional things to check that have haunted me in the past: make sure that the strings are good. Old and dirty strings may not intonate properly (you probably know this already), and I've even had a whole set of new strings that wouldn't intonate--that took a while to figure out; different string brands/gauges have different tension and stiffness. The stiffness causes inharmonicity which may make it difficult to intonate. You could try out some other gauge or brand of strings. The last thing that occur to me is that when I had an Explorer, one of the pickups was too close to the string and it would actually pull on the string to the extent that it would affect the pitch.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
            Some additional things to check that have haunted me in the past: make sure that the strings are good. Old and dirty strings may not intonate properly (you probably know this already), and I've even had a whole set of new strings that wouldn't intonate--that took a while to figure out; different string brands/gauges have different tension and stiffness. The stiffness causes inharmonicity which may make it difficult to intonate. You could try out some other gauge or brand of strings. The last thing that occur to me is that when I had an Explorer, one of the pickups was too close to the string and it would actually pull on the string to the extent that it would affect the pitch.
            Wow, that's something one would'nt think of !
            Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
              All VERY good suggestions. Especially the pickup height. That was one of the first things suggested to me when I called a local tech who is a personal friend of mine. I dropped all pickups to the bottom. Also changed the A string multiple times, and after, did change all strings again. Still no joy. I put a fresh pack of DR Tite Fit 9-42's on it before I tried anything else. I have since tried 2 different brand A strings, same gauge, and 2 different gauge A strings, same brand. Following that I changed all strings again w/another set of DR 9-42's.

I would like to know what the problem(s) is/are so I can file it away for future reference. That being for me and anyone else who might encounter it in the future. At this point I am leaning towards this being a saddle height issue somehow. I have nothing concrete to base that on. Just reaching I guess. :think:

I really appreciate you taking the time to lay these things out. Even though it did not cure my ills, I am positive one or more things you mentioned will help someone.

Comment

Hey, no problem, and I hope you solve the problem eventually! At least if it's a nut or bridge problem, it can be fixed fairly easily.

You wouldn't believe how much trouble that batch of bad strings caused me. They were on my new Kelly Custom and for a while, I thought the neck had warped or something--I though my new guitar was completely ruined as all the strings were 1/4-1/2 semitone off.

Comment

is the neck twisting??
                  http://www.facebook.com/HairRaidBand

Comment

Are the strings properly stretched since their new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvDd...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                      Are the strings properly stretched since their new?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUvDd...eature=related
                      Does anyone honestly do this ?

Comment

Yes, I know I do. I use a method that is very similar to what is posted in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
                          Yes, I know I do. I use a method that is very similar to what is posted in the link.
                          Same here.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Same here.
                            Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a whirl !

Comment

Try using your pud to hit the 12th fret harmonic. That leaves both hands free to adjust the intonation of the open string. Old trick used by blues pioneers..such as Blind Bone Capo.
                              "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                              Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Working...
                              X