Scarf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarf?

When they say like Scarf Neck joint or headstock or something (i forget) what does that mean?
    I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

A scarf jointed neck is one that has a headstock that is seperate to the neck itself.

A solid one/three/five/etc. piece neck runs in parallel pieces all the way across the length of the neck.
    Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
    Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

These are traditionally stronger than one piece necks because of the opposing direction of the grain at the weakest part of the neck, or so I have been told.
      -------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Here's a post with some quick illustrations I did a while back:

Originally posted by dg View Post
        On a tiltback headstock, a scarf joint is stronger than a 1-piece neck. There used to be a great picture, but I can't find it. Try to picture the grain of the wood in the area from the nut to the end of the headstock. On a 1 piece neck with tilt headstock, there is exposed end-grain all along that angle. A blow to the headstock can easily shear the wood, or actually peel it apart along the grain. A scarf joint eliminates the problem of the end-grain in that area.

edit- Here's a quick & crappy effort to draw it. I suck at paint. I drew the grain in red, but it came out looking weird when I saved it. Still kinda shows what I meant about the grain, though.

Comment

dg, that deseves a fucking award!
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

Another reason is that it's more economical (saves material) than making an angled neck out of one piece of wood.

Comment

Thanks! yeah i know my dk2 is scarf, not sure about the rest though
              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

When did Jackson start using scarf neck joints? Right after they moved to Ontario factory? Or later in the 90s? (I'm talking USA Jacksons here)

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                  Another reason is that it's more economical (saves material) than making an angled neck out of one piece of wood.
                  Well... it does save wood, but it costs more in terms of production time - you need to cut 2 pieces of wood, glue them, clamp them, and let the glue dry. That's in comparison to simply cutting 1 piece of wood.

I don't know what the production cost vs. material cost would work out to be.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by busdriver View Post
                    I always thought that this was the main reason. I thought it was cheaper to use 2 pieces of wood than one that was suitable to make the whole neck, pointy tilted headstock and all.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                      When did Jackson start using scarf neck joints? Right after they moved to Ontario factory? Or later in the 90s? (I'm talking USA Jacksons here)
                      According to the Soloist evolution info Jim Shine has on his site, it seems like it was right after the move to Ontario:

http://zeus.lunarpages.com/~jimshi2/newJacksonsite/jackson_soloists.htm

That covers neckthroughs, but keep in mind that there were a number of San Dimas Jackson strats that had bolt-on pointy necks with scarf joints, just like the Charvel pointies had.

Comment

Working...
                      X