3 Way Selector Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Way Selector Problem

The 3-way pickup selector toggle has a problem. It stays in either the Neck or Both position, even in the full down position. the knob itself is extremely loose when in the middle position. It moves left and right now.

What can I do?
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

A little wobble in the center position is fine. There's a pin that runs through the center of the ball that the switch pivots on.

It sounds like the contacts are either stuck open or closed (depending on the switch manufacturer). Check to make sure the little bands of the switch are touching when they're supposed to and not touching when they're not supposed to.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
      The 3-way pickup selector toggle has a problem. It stays in either the Neck or Both position, even in the full down position. the knob itself is extremely loose when in the middle position. It moves left and right now.

What can I do?
      Replace it. When it gets sloppy in the middle its time for a new one.
      It's a $15.00 part for a good Switchcraft switch and if you can handle a soldering iron its a simple job. If you are unsure take it to a local tech or luthier and have it done to save yourself the headache.

Comment

Is switchcraft a brand that most tech's will have (I don't want a lower quality toggle on my USA)?

Comment

just tell them you want a switchcraft.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

USA Jacksons come with a switchcraft.They can wear out so if you have a problem then get a new one, its an easy low cost item to fix.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Sweet, I'll take my guitar in on monday and get that nasty 1st fret buzz fixed too. The strap button came out a few days ago; this is totally unacceptable for a $2600 guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by atdguitars View Post
                Replace it. When it gets sloppy in the middle its time for a new one.
                It's a $15.00 part for a good Switchcraft switch and if you can handle a soldering iron its a simple job. If you are unsure take it to a local tech or luthier and have it done to save yourself the headache.
                Do you know the part number? The switchcraft website doesn't distinguish and there are plenty to choose from. I can't find anything on the usual guitar part sites that says 'Jackson correct 3 way selector'.

Comment

Actually, turns out all I had to do to fix it is press the two metal contacts closer together. It's good as new now HOO-RAH!

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                    Do you know the part number? The switchcraft website doesn't distinguish and there are plenty to choose from. I can't find anything on the usual guitar part sites that says 'Jackson correct 3 way selector'.
                    Because those switches are industry standard - you'll find the same switch on a PRS, SG, Jackson, Charvel, BC Rich, Hamer, Kramer, GMP, GMW, Anderson, Warrior, and even on Agiles.

You need a 3-way toggle (Gibson style) but not the long bodied version, which would be for Les Pauls and won't fit in the cavity of a Jackson. They'll mount in the mounting hole where the switch comes through the body, but the bottom of the switch will extend to the cavity cover, which is a bad thing.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron..._Switches.html

Actually, turns out all I had to do to fix it is press the two metal contacts closer together. It's good as new now HOO-RAH!
                    That will fix 98% of known 3-way issues, as it's usually about intermittent sound.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Thanks Newc.

Can you get the different shape caps to go over the switch? i.e. the link shows the domed type, I believe mine is beveled.

Comment

Not that I'm aware of. I've never even found a place that carries other switch caps.

Comment

Working...
                        X