SL2H Buzzing on 1st Fret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SL2H Buzzing on 1st Fret

This is a continuation of my older thread: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82692

Basically my SL2H has a shrill buzz on the first fret of the high E and B strings. They also buzz while played open (the E buzzes more than the B). I'm using Drop C tuning and I have the bridge perfectly flush to the guitar body and I'm using an appropriate string gauge. The guitar stays PERFECTLY in tune for weeks at a time.

While looking down the neck, I can see that the E and B strings are nearly touching the first fret, which I why they buzz when played open. I've tried raising the action slightly on the bottom side. I've also tried turning the truss rod 1/4 turn, which somewhat helped the buzzing.

I don't think (and I hope) it's the nut, because the guitar never buzzed when I got it.

I dunno guys, I just wanna play my USA Jackson without this shrill buzzing, help a brotha' out!
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

I'd say shim the nut on just the treble side.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I would say loosen the truss another 1/8th a turn and see if that takes care of it. Just did my Soloist Pro a few minutes ago and it is all gone now!
      G

Comment

Originally posted by gdog View Post
        I would say loosen the truss another 1/8th a turn and see if that takes care of it. Just did my Soloist Pro a few minutes ago and it is all gone now!
        G
        I agree with this course of action. If it didn't buzz until recently then it's not a problem with the nut (though shimming it would likely fix the problem as well). The neck has probably straightened out a bit too much and needs a wee bit more relief. One of Charvels did that recently and giving it a little neck relief was the remedy.

Comment

Rock the first fret with with your thumbs and check for movement of the fret itself, have you put any oils on the board for cleaning or conditioning recently or regularly?
          Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

I had the same thing a few months back, 1/4 turn ccw on the truss rod fixed it right up
            Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Shim the nut on the high side.... Done

Comment

Sorry to dig up this PREHISTORIC thread, but loosening the truss rod fixed the buzzing issue I had on the frets. But, I notice that I still have an issue with the high E buzzing when played open. It's only the high E that does this (no other strings buzz when fretted or played open). Now that I think of it, the guitar has always had this problem with the e string, so I'm pretty sure it's not a truss rod issue anymore. I guess the solution is to put a shim under the nut. So I have a question about that.

How big should the shim be? What material? and where can I get something like this?

Comment

I used construction paper on an old Rhoads, it was just a tiny piece on the edge on the nut.

Comment

For shimming an OFR nut I would use the little metal shims they (Allparts, Floyd Rose) sell for this purpose. They're very thin so and very solid.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                      For shimming an OFR nut I would use the little metal shims they (Allparts, Floyd Rose) sell for this purpose. They're very thin so and very solid.
                      You mean these? http://www.allparts.com/BP-0426-001-...Set_p_952.html I might just end up using something like paper that will compress a bit. The thinnest piece of sheet metal I can cut is around the thickness of a medium pick .73mm, and looking at the allparts shims (.1,.2.,.3...) that's way too thick!

EDIT:
                      Well I just chopped up an old xmas card and wedged 2 little pieces under the treble side. Definitely a noticeable improvement But a little buzz is still there, I'll wedge another piece when I get my tremol-no.
                      Last edited by Mario8672; 05-23-2014, 02:15 PM.

Comment

I had a similar issue recently with my SL2H. It turned out the 1st and 2nd frets had started to "pop up" a little. Took the guitar to a tech, had the frets reset, polished, and a basic set up done. Plays great now.

Comment

I just put together a parts mutt last night and had this exact problem. I had a very thin washer in my parts box, so I cut it in half and used it to shim the nut. Worked perfectly.
                          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

You mentioned in your first post that you are playing drop C with appropriate string gauges. The guitar was most likely originally set up with 9-42's. For drop C I am sure you are using much heavier gauges. This could explain why you need to shim the nut now. You may also need to shim a few of your bridge saddles as well, given the change in string gauges. If you have never set up the guitar these strings in drop C, you may also need to check your intonation as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X