Graphite Nut Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphite Nut Questions

I recently picked up a Fender Mexican H-S-S Strat and I'm surprised to say that I've become quite fond of it. I'm thinking about installing an Allparts graphite nut, which I can get from Guitar Center. So my questions are:

1. Does it really help the strings to return to pitch after bending? I used to always oil the nuts ("Huh huh! That's cool, Beavis!") when doing a setup, but I've only played with Floyded guitars for some time now.

2. How easy/hard is the removal of the original nut and installation of the new one? I really don't want to mess this guitar up.

3. What glue is best for the job?
    Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

I just changed the plastic nut to a Tusq nut on my strat. Real easy to change. Just tap the side of the nut and it will break loose from the neck. Make sure you get the right one for the guitar. Some are flat, some are curved bottom. Mine (2006 maple neck) has the curved bottom. I had to file the little tab in the middle of the bottom down a bit to fit right and the ends a hair to match the edges of the board other than that, easy fit. Some people use a SLIGHT dab of super glue to hold in place but I didn't use anything at all. As long as it's a snug-ish fit, like goes in with a very light tap, don't bother with glue. If you really want to use glue, use super glue as it will break loose later if necessary with a light tap.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Don't use super glue, use a white glue (Elmers).

If you feel the nut is an issue, use a nut lube. Dan Erlewine has a receipe in one of his books. It's graphite from pencil lead and vasoline, but you can simply use pencil lead.

Screw all that and just floyd the thing.

Or get a HM Strat like I did

Comment

I used a graphtech nut on my old tele and it popped right in. Don't use any glue. Super glue will work if you absolutely need it and I mean REALLY needit. Super glue is brittle when dry and can be tapped sideways to knock it out if you need to replace. The Tusq are better they give the tone of a bone nut.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

I would stay away from super glue - it holds great but if you ever have to remove the nut it will take wood with it and create more problems than it's worth.
          Strat God Music
          http://www.esnips.com/web/Strat-God-Music/?flush=1

Comment

I've used wood glue small dot or two off the end of a toothpick, I always figured you could sand it if you needed another change of your oily nuts !
            Obviously with nuts at the end that are not slotted you need to use some kind of glue.
            And I hear alot say no superglue and again here.
            Check-it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKmQmkJ9gg

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Dan Erlewine has a receipe in one of his books. It's graphite from pencil lead and vasoline, but you can simply use pencil lead.
              I've used that for floyds, figured that since both of 'em are slippy, together they'd be even slippier.
              Ugly lookin stuff, and you really don't want to get any on your hands, but it gets the job done, and does it well!
              Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
              Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

I swapped out the nut on my Mim Strat a few weeks ago for a Graphtech (allparts packed)
                Simple procedure. The factory nut wasn't glued in, so removal was easy. I used a flat file and hammer to tap the nut from the side. Once enough of the nut was out the other side, I used pliers and finished pulling the nut out.
                Used the old nut for reference, and filed the Graphtech down to the correct length, then finished the edges off with 600 grit sandpaper (wet/dry type). Then all I had to do was file the width down so that it would fit the nut slot.
                I didn't glue the Graphtech in. It was a tight fit, and since the original wasn't glued, figured I'd try the Graphtch without glue and see what happens. So far it seems fine.
                Total install time... About 15 minutes And yes it did make a difference in tuning stability. Also I used a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the saddles (where the strings cross over)... and a little Vaseline on a toothpick on the string tree.
                No more tuning issues
                Don

Comment

Originally posted by Dogbone View Post
                  I swapped out the nut on my Mim Strat a few weeks ago for a Graphtech (allparts packed)
                  Simple procedure. The factory nut wasn't glued in, so removal was easy. I used a flat file and hammer to tap the nut from the side. Once enough of the nut was out the other side, I used pliers and finished pulling the nut out.
                  Used the old nut for reference, and filed the Graphtech down to the correct length, then finished the edges off with 600 grit sandpaper (wet/dry type). Then all I had to do was file the width down so that it would fit the nut slot.
                  I didn't glue the Graphtech in. It was a tight fit, and since the original wasn't glued, figured I'd try the Graphtch without glue and see what happens. So far it seems fine.
                  Total install time... About 15 minutes And yes it did make a difference in tuning stability. Also I used a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the saddles (where the strings cross over)... and a little Vaseline on a toothpick on the string tree.
                  No more tuning issues
                  The origional was bone/ceramic? Why change to graphite? Do you use the trem, you did'nt give a performance update on that ?

Comment

Dogbone, you didn't need to file the string slots? I've been thinking about trying this on my strat, but assumed even the pre-slotted nut would need some work. If it's just sanding the sides and bottom down a bit, I'll have to give it a try

Comment

My Tusq nut (made by graphtech, just different material so I'm sure it's cut to same specs) was exactly the same on the install as Dogbone's. I didn't have to file/sand the sides at all. All I had to sand was a bit off the center tit to fit in right. Then just sand to line up with the edge of the board. The pre-cut one's slots were perfect. The only thing I wondered about was the slots were a hair further apart. Installed and it was no issue at all. Actually the strings are perfectly parallel with the edge of the fretboard now.

As far as glue, do what you want. The center tit holds the nut centered and the nut fits slightly snug in the slot (plus string pressure) so no glue needed. If your using graphite, superglue or elmers isn't bonding well to it anyway. Elmers will soak into the wood and bond to it. Superglue dries fast enough to not soak in and will come out easily if you want to remove it. You make the choice.

Here's a pic. http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/f...t=100_0881.jpg
                      Last edited by warlok; 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The slots spacing is probaly so they fit both US and import strats with out extending or compressing either too far.

Comment

Working...
                        X