EMG vs Dimarzio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG vs Dimarzio

I'm really looking at upgrading my pickups in a KE3. I'm torn between either the 81/60, the Alexi Laiho signature/ 60, or Diamrzio evolutions.

I'm worried that the Evo's won't have enough balls to it to get the really chunky, heavy distortion. I need it to be clear, articulate with lots of gain, punchy, aggressive, cuts through, good for chugging, tight bass, powerful low mids, searing highs...

any comments are appreciated.

Never been a big fan of EMG's, personally, but I've never tried the Evo. What kind of tone are you after?

Isn't Alexi using those blackouts now?
    Originally posted by horns666
    The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

You better go with EMG's .... What your saying your looking for in a pickup isn't a DiMarzio EVO. The EVO isn't a grind horse it has that hint of blues to it. EMG's are the metalheads best friend in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacksons Shred View Post
        Never been a big fan of EMG's, personally, but I've never tried the Evo. What kind of tone are you after?

Isn't Alexi using those blackouts now?

Idk, he's got a signature EMG pickup that just came out. But on the COB website it says he uses Duncans. So now I'm confused.

Comment

evos are going to be clearer but emgs are going to be more balsy but i dont really like the sound of them if i were you i would go for a dimarzio distortion
          "Too bad Kurt didn't teach John how to aim a gun."
          Jackson Shred

"maybe i should do what madona does and adopt a little chineese kid and get them to knock up a couple of guitars for me" cookiemonster

Comment

As for what kind of tone I'm after, I need tight crunchy rhythms, and leads that can cut through well. I need it to be hot, but still stay clear. I need a pickup that can do a lot of work breaking the signal up, since I have a VERY clean amp.

Comment

I can vouch for the Evo's. Got a pair of them in my Nebula WR1. I may do the same to my other WR1 next month (when I got money again).
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

If you have the money , you might want to check out Bare Knuckle. I had a Holy Diver it sounded clear and still had balls. And I hear a Warpig is even better.

Comment

Originally posted by themisfit138 View Post
                  If you have the money , you might want to check out Bare Knuckle. I had a Holy Diver it sounded clear and still had balls. And I hear a Warpig is even better.
                  I've heard good things about those, but I really wanna be able to play something before I buy it.

Comment

I have been installing pickups for years and when I read what you are looking for it sound just like the discription of an EMG. The EMG is going to give you all you are looking for. The EVO sounds best when mounted in a pickguard ala Steve Vai. My experience has been that they do not sound as good mounted directly to the body or in pickup rings. Hope this helps. Personally I use Seymour Duncans.

Comment

EMG's

Comment

Do you have room in the control cavity for a battery?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                          Do you have room in the control cavity for a battery?
                          Yep

Comment

forget the Evo. way too boxy sounding. try the Dimarzio Super Distortion.
                            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I believe the alexi laiho signature is the EMG Hz-H2
                              I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X