Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Old Pickguard Day. Night. Morning? Whatever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Old Pickguard Day. Night. Morning? Whatever.

So I couldn't sleep. I took an old s-s-h Strat pickguard I had in my parts box, a drill and a utility knife, and altered it to fit the SoCal. I traced the Floyd cut-away with a big Sharpie, and then carefully trimmed away with knife. Drilled my new hole, loaded it up with spare parts (and my 'former' favorite Strat's pickups) and put it on.

Before...

After...

Now I think I'm ready for bed...

Nice. So the holes lined up perfectly?
    THIS IS MY POST
    Thanks for reading

Comment

That turned out very nice!
      Great job!
      "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
      --floydkramer

Comment

Oops, hit "post quick reply" a second too soon...

Are those single coils Duncan 1/4 pounders (SSL4)?

I hear those are incredible pickups
        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Zaneus View Post
          Nice. So the holes lined up perfectly?
          No, they are off 'just a hair.' Pretty much all of the discrepancies mentioned by people who have fitted a normal Strat guard were all present... I had to trim away some of the p-guard around the neck pocket, the rear of the bridge pup is resting snugly against the inside of the body route, and a normal sized pot won't fit in the stock Strat location. The Strat guard isn't as wide as the SoCal in some areas, which almost leaves some body cavity uncovered. I have really small 250k pot I was able to fit, but it is still a pretty tight squeeze. I will be going with a pickguard cut specifically for it, at some point.

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
          Rio Grande Muy Grandes. They are usually used as a hot bridge single coil, but I like how fat, warm, and round they are in the middle and neck. Almost 'un-Stratty.'

Comment

I just bought one of those to be the middle pickup in the model 1a I bought of of john. I think I had those in the washburn mg120 I sold a few months ago. Great pickup.

Comment

nice job.....looks great
              www.usacharvels.com - info, pics and Charvel guitar discussion board. All things Charvel
              My Charvel guitars - always one away from too many!

Comment

Cool.

Well, real nice job!
                --floydkramer

Comment

Thanks! I priced pearl blank stock from stew-mac... $42! If I can't find a decent deal on a custom cut, I'll order a Warmoth routed just for the singles and 5-way, and I'll cut my own pot and bridge pup holes.

Comment

Good move, looks way better.

Comment

Nice job, looks cool.

Comment

Working...
                      X